1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Position of centre rear speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Comer, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I sit at the back wall of my room with my surround speakers on the side walls. Obviously I can't put my centre rear speaker behind my seating position. How would it work if I put this speaker directly above my seating position pointing straight down. If this would not work I don't want to go to the expense and trouble of setting it up.

Also is there any advantage of using a centre rear speaker for non Ex/Es material?

If these are really stupid questions just shake your head sympathetically and try not to think me too dumb (I get enough of that from herself) :)

Thanks

Conor

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Conor.

I used to have two centre rears above my seating position (not facing down, though). When I repositioned my gear so that the centre rears were behind me it made a big difference... suddenly evrything seemed so much more expansive ;)

As for always using a centre rear... in my experience using a centre rear without the appropriate soundtrack merely detracted a certain ambience from the surrounds - I didn't like it, but I guess it's the kind of thing for everyone to experience and decide for themselves :)

3. David M

David M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe i have the same problem as yourself in that the viewing position is on a sofa against the rear wall. I have my two rears in a 5.1 formation on the side walls firing in and down towards the listening position. I am resigned to the fact that I cannopt have a centre rear speaker due the lack os distance between the back wall and the listening position. I have considered the possitbility of a small rear surround or even a picture speaker (i.e. flar surface inside a frame) however, thewy will not sound anything like the B&W 600 S3 rears taht I have so it will probably not be wothwhile.

If anybody out there has resloved this issue any suggetions most welcome or does everybody else have huge rooms.

4. beavis2ooo

beavis2ooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there,i have same room layout, but with the centre rears resting on sofa back firing upwards.

5. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    How about a pair of bipoles on the rear wall?
    Ive only got 5.1 and this position works really well, so I would imagine you can stick with your side wall speakers for L & R surround and use the bipoles for the rear surrounds.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im going for bi/tripoles for the rear walls to diffuse the sound, if this improves the audio I shall probably use one as the sixth speaker. Im getting a pair of Energy CR 3, have a look at the review section, you can buy them singly.

Again Im up against the backwall, luckily I can inch the sofa forward a couple of feet without compromising the room. As if it isnt compromised enough with SVS subwoofers/ 5 speakers,Amps,Cd player, projector, TV :laugh:

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I tried it and it does seem to work but as I am a person who has never heard a propperly setup 6.1 system I really couldn't blame any of you for taking my opinion with a grain of salt.

So in an effort to realise if my setup does work I'll give two examples:

1. The opening sequence on Star Wars Ep2.
    When the ships arrive from behind my seating position, without the rear centre, the sound of the ships is dispersed across the complete rear sound-stage
    With the centre rear speaker pointing down I can hear each ship coming as a single point of sound from behind.
    2. Gladiator just after Maximus askes for a soldiers death he throws a sword from behind the seating position.
    Without the centre rear speaker I just hear the sword whoshing all across the back wall of the room but with the cente rear on, it really does sound like a sword is flying from behind and above me (I wasn't frightened because it sounded as if it was going to go over my head, which, luckily, it did and killed the centurian on the screen instead)

I suppose it would be more effective if it were even a foot or two behind my seating position but what can I do. Also, considering that I only have about eight DVDs with Es/Ex (two of which are the kids) it really isn't all that important.

Conor