1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Position Help ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by michaelk, Jun 10, 2002.

1. michaelk

michaelk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've a bit of an odd shape room, and I'm trying to decide where to place speakers.

At present I'm looking at a Denon A11SR and Denon 3800 DVD player.

Speaker wise i'm looking at B&W or Mission. Possibly more towards Missions as they have the wall mounted dipoles.

My question is where to place the rear speakers, and with an odd shape room, is it better to go for di-poles or standard rear speakers. I was also thinking about a 7.1 set up ? maybe 2 pairs of dipoles one each on wall A,B,C and D.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Michael

Attached Files:

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    How abouth this:

Use 2 x DiPole for l & R Surround and 1 x DiPole for the rear

Attached Files:

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

For Dipoles to work well, they need to be placed with the "null" of the speaker facing the listening position, ideally either side of this listening position. You need to experiment but try one dipole on the wall where the letter A is and the other on the wall just past where the letter C is. I wouldnt use a dipole as a rear centre stick with a monopole speaker and put that in front of the letter B.

You can use two monopoles as rear centres and have them as close together as possible, THX Ultra 2 specs now recommend this and it works well, does in my setup.:)

Its worth experimenting with different speaker positions, angling them down etc.

cheers

4. michaelk

michaelk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your replies. At least now I've a good idea where to place my speakers. I think I will go for the two di-pole for the left and right and either one or two monopole for the rears.

Just out of interest should the all the speakers be at roughly the same hieght ? I'm guessing ear hieght ?

Cheers

Michae

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dipoles should be about 2 feet or so above head height. In my system the rear centres are about a foot higher than the dipoles but angled down towards the listening position. Again, its worth experimenting with what sounds best in your room. Quite a few other people have all their surround speakers at the same height though.

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    My advice is aslo to experiment. Althogh Dolby make pre-defined suggestions I believe that we all have different tasts and hearing and only by messing around and testing can you achieve the best solution for you.

Give yourself a leat a day to do this as you will find there are many permutations.

Good Luck

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Michael,
    While I'm not really a fan of 'in ceiling' speakers', I think in your case, (provided you have access to the upstairs floorboards) three speakers as positioned would work well for you.

Attached Files:

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    small point but the missions are bipoles.