Question Position and Height of SL & SR speakers

thestorm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have 4 questions. Please can you help?

I am renovating a larger room in the house and turning it into a home cinema room.
The dimensions of the room are 27ft long, 13ft wide and 10ft high.

On one side of the room in the centre there is a chimney breast, it is 167cm wide and 30cm deep.
(pls see attached pic)

Would a SL speaker be suitable next to the chimney breast? as this is parallel to the listening position.
do I pin it against the side wall or position it next to the chimney breast so the output of sound-waves do not rebound from the chimney breast.

I was considering getting the Monitor Audio Bronze FX speakers for SL & SR
Bronze FX
Which mode should i keep them on ? Dipole or Bipole?

3. how high should the SL/SR & SBL/SBR speakers be from the floor?

4. When I do get the TV, where do i position it? centre of the wall or at eye level? The size could be 65 or 75"

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    805.6 KB · Views: 74
I’ll try and answer your points in order

1. Depends on how deep the speakers are of greater than 30cm then actually on the wall won’t hurt as the wall won’t interfere. Remember that the suggested position of surround speakers has some latitude in terms of just forward and backward of the MLP ( mine are about 5 degrees behind for example.

2. I’ve never used dipole or bipole speakers for surround sound. I have some dipole Wharfdales for my surround back speakers and they work fine there

3. Ideally all speakers should be at ear level if possible. If higher they can be troublesome if implementing Atmos at some point as you need a fairly clear transition from surround to overhead my surround speakers are just above ear level as I use Dali Alteco which have an angled front baffle as they are designed to be flexible in placement and usage.

4. Debatable point this for computer monitors it’s recommended to have the monitor at just below the horizontal as that’s where your eyes naturally find a level however I go for the option of just above horizontal as that generally follows the cinema experience which in most cases a majority of attendees sit below the screen mid level and to be frank it means the viewer has to be prepared to engage as if it’s below eye level there is a tendency to relax too much and nod off during the less interesting sections of a film

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom