Posh London Break

D

Deleted member 13294

Got my 20th wedding anniversary coming up, so am planning to spoil my wife over the last weekend in September.

I'm thinking about three nights in the Shangri La hotel at the Shard in London but am open to any other hotels. Only criteria is 5 star, but anything with a wow factor would get a thumbs up. Central location preferred, but we don't mind reasonable tube / taxi journeys to get around.

For activities I was thinking one of the mornings / afternoons we could do a flotation thing at floatworks in Vauxhall.

But apart from that I'm struggling for inspiration on what to do. We lean more towards relaxing things rather than adrenaline activities, and neither of us are particularly into art or galleries. But we have an open mind. The key thing is something memorable / different to the norm as we've decided to spend our money on the experience rather than gifts.

Things we have already done - duck tour, London eye, most of the museums, ice bar, tour buses, etc.

Really would appreciate any suggestions on hotels and activities.

20th anniversary?

I'd certainly be taking her up the Oxo Tower.

portrait-james.JPG

Oxo Tower Wharf

(Yes it's an old gag, but apparently it's very nice) etc.

Oxo tower is great at sunset for a couple of glasses of fizz or cocktails.

Admittedly I have no experience of the Shangri La but hotels I'd recommend are the Rosewood and the Ham Yard Hotel (definitely different!). Both two of my faves in town and I have seen pretty much all the big hotels.

That all said, I imagine the views are unreal at the Shangri La.

Both two amazing looking hotels. The Ham Yard appeals for the luxury and I like the 1950s bowling alley.

I think the views of the Shangri La edge it for now but I will look further tonight.

So far the itinerary is 3 nights in hotel tbc, a floatworks visit and dinner at the oxo tower. Any other recommendations?

Quirky and memorable things definitely favoured.

So far the itinerary is 3 nights in hotel tbc, a floatworks visit and dinner at the oxo tower. Any other recommendations?

I wouldn't recommend eating at the OXO Tower. I am sure its lovely but you have so many amazing restaurants to eat at. Its worth a cocktail at sunset sure but I'd move on after that. If you are after dinner with a view check out the Duck and Waffle. FYI, its open 24hours.
Other restaurants to consider are...

J Sheekys if your after seafood.

Goodmans if you want a high end steak restaurant...or their sister branch Zellmans meats if you want a cool, edgy vibe. (I go back for the roasted cauliflower and houmous side dish...yes!!! a side dish that good!)

Blacklock in Soho for chops.

Yautcha (my wife and have had some great lunches there) - Contemporary chinese cuisine

Gymkhanna - Contemporary curry/indian/asian inspired cuisine. This place is the hot restaurant right now. Everybody wants to eat there!

Tonkotsu - Japanese Ramen place in Soho. Ramen might not be your thing but I love it! Soup and Noodles :) Great late evening snack or lunchtime destination.

Dean Street Townhouse - Nice stop off for a couple of cocktails while in between places. Decent food aswell.

Honest Burger - Awesome burgers and a real treat for lunch.

To be honest I could list restaurants all day long. I don't spend nearly as much time in town as I used to, but when I do I like to tick somewhere off my extensive list of "places to eat".

Finally, if you both thrill seekers, perhaps consider this: London Zombie Bunker Experience

Some fantastic info there @Hillskill. Thank you.

The zombie experience sounds fantastic. Definitely going to do that!

Galvin @ Windows is a great restaurant, lovely food but also great views as it is at the top of the Park Lane Hilton. There is a balcony which actually isn't open to the public but my wife being Brazilian asked anyway, they said no initially then the maitre d came back and lead us through the kitchen passed bemused staff and we had it all to our self!

Michel Roux Jr's place Le Gavroche has impeccable service and food. What I really like is every time I've been he was there and makes a point of spending time with each table, rare for chefs on TV so much these days. Refreshing. He's an absolute gent, he came over as we were toasting our glasses and he drifted in "Ahhhhhh that is music to my ears". Need to book early but the business lunch is incredibly good value, which in practice is mostly the retired enjoying their free time.

The Fat Duck - very expensive and a short train out of London in Bray but for a treat to all the senses and theatre of dinning it is a show stopper.

You could do well to plan a well conceived walk. A lesser know park is Holland Park and my favourite. Start near Holland Park tube, Passed the Ukrainian building and just meander making sure you take i the Japanese garden and then out at High Street Kensington where you could have a reservation waiting or walk back central via Kensington Palace Gardens. I was there is the summer fueled on Processco when a helicopter came in to land so I gave chance, out popped this huge pair of ears in a double breasted suit so I belted out "Charlie Charlie give us a wave" and he did!

The Regent's Canal Walk is great too, see the amazing houses in Regent's Park, Primrose Hill and potentially as far as Camden.

If weather permits a Riverboat to Hampton Court Palace or Kew Gardens.

Do the O2 roof walk having taken the cable car over the Greenwhich with your Oyster Card.

A show with a difference, not sure if it is still on by The Play That Went Wrong is a really belly laugh slap stick show well worth it. Or maybe one of these Bulereaque Magic type shows, they are very well produced these days and are very funny, La Clique was one I've seen. The Roundhouse has lots of good stuff and is a great venue with an unusual history.

Helicopter Trip over the capital?

Worth checking out some of the markets, Spitafields is good and Brick Lane dispite the hipsters is still good, get a Salt Beef Beigel at the famous Beigel Bake for very cheap but authetic and delicious. Likewise Borough Market is great for street food.

The Clink former prison, not sure what it quite is now but perhaps not quite the mood!

Thanks @bluedroog. The Fat Duck appeals, but looks very hard to book! The train journey wouldn't be an issue. The website only has dates up to two months ahead, and it pretty much looks sold out. Any tips on how to get actually get in there?

One slightly cheeky way could be to try and book a table for three and say someone dropped out. I recall that is how we managed when I went, although we were actually a three. See if that brings you any joy online. Otherwise I'd just call them as you never know they may get a cancellation, always best on the phone I'd say. You can always have an alternative booked and cancel that should you not need it.

Well, the hotel has been booked. We are staying at the Shangri La at the Shard. Decided not to include breakfast as we both thought we could do a lot with the £387 we save by sorting our own breakfast for the three days. I mean really, £387 for breakfast for three days!

Also decided not to do the Fat Duck although I was keen. Think that may be part of our 25th anniversary celebrations.

Floatworks is still a definite to do but not booked yet. And we've booked tickets on the Friday for The Play That Went Wrong as a few people have mentioned it to us.

Got some good restaurants mentioned in the above so will definitely do one of those on the Thursday evening and one on Saturday evening. I quite fancy Le Gavroche for lunch on the Friday too.

The long weekend is shaping up nicely, thanks to all for the tips so far.

Breakfast at the Duck and Waffle is nice if you get a window seat, great views again.

We need to know what you mean by "posh"
S****y and "look at me " places are very differnet to Posh !

For instance , client has a friend visiting from the USA . To assist in a new book . 7 weeks and the guest really is old skool American / English "posh" . So he is staying in the Hazlitt . Posh people do things differently than "new money"

The OXO tower is ok... Not that great . People just get excited about thinking they are "cool" and it's a bit "look at me " rather than about the food .
Good luck trying to get a booking for Le Gavroche !
I prefer Launceston place as the food is a lot better .

Best decision so far , getting out of the hotel for breakfast ! £387 is madness and takes you a long way in some great places . I prefer the smaller more "personal" places where the basic core reason for been there is good food and service . Been surrounded by "weekend millionaires "All getting too excited is not my idea of fun !!'

Try "Clos Maggiore" in Covent Garden . But you might seriously need to beg to get a booking so quickly .

It is seriously "you know what " good

Of fun things to do, I will mention some.

- Shrek Adventure

There are themed attractions such as the Dungeon ( not tremendous ), the Aquarium, the London Eye, etc within or beside the old County Hall, located by the south side of Westminster Bridge, as you're probably aware,

A recent addition very close to the London Dungeon, within County Hall building, is the Shrek Adventure. If you into the Shrek films and the humour of them, then do go, because this the best of the bunch in London. The design and props are by Dreamworks and the staff seem better and more into their roles than at similar. The quality of this experience is up there with what you'd get say at Universal. It is a laugh. You don't get to see the actual Shrek much which surprised me but still, you are in the Skrek world totally, going from place/scene to the next where you meet new actors conducting their bit of the experience. Near the beginning there is a "4D" London bus ride, driven by Donkey. There's even a sing-a-long before you board !
This won't appeal to everyone of course but if you are into the Shrek thing, this is the best attraction of its kind in London.

Entry is by a timed slot, which you choose when you book online. Don't don't it any other way. A word about the other attractions you may find bundled with Skrek to save money - Don't ! If you're going on the other ones buy single tickets direct or face unexpected hassle on your short trip, trust me.

Shrek's Adventure! London | Official Tickets and Offers

- The Shard

The View From The Shard, staying at the Shangri-La or not, is definitely worthwhile for it's amazingness, differentness, bizarreness ! Book a timed entry slot.
Think about the sun position and what will be illuminated below. Me, I went up near tea time, because the light is nice then and by the time, it was shining eastward, upon the Tower Bridge, Waterloo station with its "toy trains" moving about, and eastward over the interesting dockland areas and where the river snakes a lot.

The View From The Shard

Very close, is the interesting and fun Borough Market, where you can snack and drink in this old Victorian iron gem.

Since you're in the area you might as well see this early operating theatre.
Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret Web Site

- Speakers Corner

I cannot fail to mention this whenever I talk about London trips. Since you will there on a weekend and it is still the summer, Speakers Corner is open to you.

Hyde Park, over from Marble Arch ( north east corner of the park ), on Sundays only for a good selection. Gets going well in the afternoon

Get to Marble Arch on the Central Line if coming by tube and use the well signed underpass, to emerge on the park side at Speakers Corner.

While the speakers in this modern era are mainly not great, it is hilarious as an entertainment. Nowadays we tend to see extremists and religious nutters, but that's the fun. Yet there are also a few good speakers.

By mid afternoon its teeming with speakers. Personally, I like to spend a whole afternoon here, but even if you go and have say an hour and a half there, you'll get the experience. If you haven't done this thing before it will be a memorable experience for you.

There is a snacks & drinks kiosk by the speakers and ice cream.

Speakers Corner

- Flight Simulators at the Emirates Aviation Experience

Now obviously, this will appeal to some, not others. Are you aviation lovers ? Are you geeks ( and proudly so ) ?

This is forty something quid - very reasonable considering. You get an experience of realistic aviation simulators. Choose 777 or Airbus 380 . They are set within the fairly interesting Aviation Experience. The sims are static, so don't expect a big pod that bobs around on hydraulic legs, but still, this is really good, especially for the money and a huge step up from what you could do on a home rig.

Flight Simulators | Emirates Aviation Experience

Book, obviously.

The location of this is actually at the southern end of cable car thingie over the Thames - another fun thing to do.

The Emirates Air Line

You can pay for it with your Oyster by the way.

And that reminds me, send off for an Oyster. Keep it and use it on subsequent visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Miserables for a show?

Pre theatre menu at Theo Randall at the Intercontinental?

For a nice weekend staying in the top end of things . I would not want to spend much time on public transport getting around London !!
As for speakers corner . Much rather wash my hair in a dirty toilet . There are far nicer parts of the park to visit etc . The Emirates cable car is a joke.
Stick around St James /Mayfair etc for the best bits
If you fancy a walk, go to the Diana water memorial and Albert hall area of Hyde park .
Keep it very simple and "balanced"

Then take taxis.

Speakers Corner is a laugh, depending on your personal POV and humour.I don't know the people involved.

The cable car isn't something to go out of your way for and true, its not the Swiss Alps, but the view is nice and IF you were going to be having a go on the flight sims, you might as well, thats all.

For the best Afternoon teas
Try one of these

"Sketch "
Or if you are around Harrods etc
"Bulgari"

But book !!
And espect seriously off the chart wealthy customers . But both are good food and not too bad price wise

Avoid the
RItz
Savoy
And the Lanesborough

Never mind them posh tea places .............. when there is a cat cafe on Bethnal Green Road. Oh yes ! What could be better for a luxury break for two in London ?

Meow ! Meow ! Meow ! The pinnacle of London !

Home - Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium

Go in the morning when the cats are more active. In the afternoon many of them don't work properly or are switched off altogether, in their baskets.

Book your slot. Bring mice. Meow !

A different type of pussy than you might find in the Bulgari !!!!
But I have never heard of this place. And it looks like a great idea for a business

It is a Japanese concept originally. I doubt it makes much money, but it is nice idea and lifestyle for the operators. And indeed patrons. Also, these places provide a jammy landing for many a rescue cat. They do look after the cats welfare and apply good rules with regard to the visitors and have time out gaps during which there are none.
There is also one in Edinburgh , called Maison de Moggy

Some really good info thanks guys. Just a shame I can't like your posts with the updated app!

The cat cafe might be a bit different. Will give that a go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom