1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portrait background - best colour, where to buy ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RimBlock, Aug 24, 2005.

1. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi again,

I am looking to get some cloth for a studio background. The models are likely to be black haired and tanned. I was thinking of black backdrops but am a little worried that the black would negate the hair detail in the pictures.

Any advice on best colour, best material as the wall behind is white (velvet, cotton) and suggestion on places to buy (fabric wholesalers etc as well as ebay or photographic stores) ?

Many thanks
    RB

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not bad.

Nice to see it with an Asian model (as mine are). Just a bit worried about a light material getting a bit easily marked.

Maybe I am ging to have to get more than one backdrop. I can see the white / cream being fine for standard protrait shots but not so sure about the more sultry side where some of the shoots will be going.

Cheers
    RB

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vinyl mate is the way to go as it wont crease like paper, muslin ect, and it's cleanable

5. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Haha, I don't think it will be getting that messy :eek:

What is it likely to do to the flash light though being quite reflective.

Velvet seems to be a good choice for the more sensual photography, not sure again how it will react with the flash though (will it stay as a block of colour or give the shimmery effect).

Does anyone use a white background and then light it for different colour effects and if so how good is this ?

Thanks
    RB

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    seriously:laugh: vinyl wont crease and it's tough. You're going to light the background yeah?

7. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well I haven't purchased a lighting rig yet although it will either be the Potaflash studio 2 (£199) or 3 (£349).

I really cannot stretch any further.

My better half is over on 2nd Sept (she lives in the US) so I would rather not miss the chance and have everything in place by then.

Lots of cash has gone out the door this month and I am pretty happy with where it has gone so far but I really need to sort out the textured and magnolia painted wall with a backdrop else I think it is all going to be spoiled.

I have seen PVC going again on ebay and I am awaiting quotes for velvet (requested yesterday). Problem is that most materials seem to come in 1.5m widths and the wall I will be using is 3.5m wide (2.8m tall plus some floot coverage).

There must be some material selling websites out there. I have found a few but nothing great. Anyone else have any pointers.

Thanks for the advice

RB

8. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe Fabric land might be my answer :thumbsup:

Time for some costings.

RB

9. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
  10. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Ash.

Nice choice and fairly good sizes but expensive compaired to just buying fabric.

Buying black cotton for the area I want to cover will cost me £18. Buying photographic backgrounds will cost £53. Whilst I have no doubt that the photographic backgrounds are better for this task, that is a massive difference in price and neither set of sizes covers the area as well as I would like.

For the same price of getting the photographic background, I can get black cotton for the entire area (floor and two walls), velvet for floor and one wall and a white cloth with painted chrysanthemums on it for a third background. If I wanted to change it so the base colour was all white then it would cost me another £18 on top.

Now I may be wrong and find out that I am just throwing away the money on the cotton as it is not suited at all for this but at £18 I think I can to stand to write it off if it all goes pear shaped.

Many thanks all
    RB

11. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No problem mate, to pay your money and make your choice. Or should that be the other way round?. :smashin: