Porting BT number to Virgin question

McNab

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just signed up to Virgin media phone & broadband (no TV) and had the installation yesterday.

I'm happy with everything the guy did, except for not having my BT phone number ported to my Virgin account. Not the installers fault as it hadn't been on his worksheet.

I phoned the customer care line while he was still doing stuff and was told that it had been missed off the order and hadn't been done and that, in order to get it sorted I needed to phone back the next day as they need 24 hours for the installation to be closed off before they can do anything.

Phoned today again and spoke to a lady who organised the switchover for 8th september which is good.

What I'm not sure about is the cancelling of the BT account. I have to contact BT to do that, but what's the best time to do that? Should I do it before the 8th? I don't really want to do that and then find Virgin has messed up and I loose my phone number. Or would it be best to cancel after the 8th when I can be sure the number is transfered ok. But I don't want to to find that Virgin cant take the number because BT don't have any idea that a change is occuring.

What do you think I should do?

No, don't cancel the BT account. Virgin will notify BT that you are porting your number across to them, which by definition closes your account. If you do it prematurely, there is a risk BT will reuse your number and the port request will fail.

This is how I ported my number across.

That's what I was thinking, but the lady on the phone said I do need to contact BT to cancel the account.

I'll see what happens on the 8th and maybe contact BT after that to make sure the account is cancelled.

Switching to or from a cable phone line
If you are switching to or from a cable phone service, it may not always be possible to keep your existing landline number. This is because BT’s phone lines and Virgin Media’s phone lines run on different networks.

BT says that if you want to keep your Virgin Media number when re-joining the BT network, you should notify them before placing your order to switch.

Virgin Media says that customers switching from a BT line to a cable line will “normally” be able to keep their existing number. Virgin Media adds: “If you'd like to do this, just fill in the ‘keeping your own number’ bit of the online order form. We’ll transfer your number when we install your services and this will close your BT account. You’ll receive a final bill from BT around a week after you switch your number.

Phone numbers when moving house
If you’re moving home within your own telephone exchange area, it may be possible to take your existing number with you. There is not normally a charge for this service.

However, if your new house is in a new town in a different area, you will probably not be able to take your existing number with you. Once you know exactly when you’re leaving your old house and moving into your new home, notify both your existing and your new home phone supplier, so they can make the necessary arrangements to your services.

I placed my order over the phone and was told that I would be able to port the number over. For some reason it got missed off the work order. Basically I'm trying to establish if and when I should contact BT about it.

The customer care person said I should, but Jez and your info Dante says that I don't need to.

Ta

I placed my order over the phone and was told that I would be able to port the number over. For some reason it got missed off the work order. Basically I'm trying to establish if and when I should contact BT about it.

The customer care person said I should, but Jez and your info Dante says that I don't need to.

Ta

I'd contact both parties prior to termination of BT services and ensure both parties are clear on what you want to happen. Virgin are correct and the transfer should occur without you having to contact BT yourself, but I see no harm in speaking to BT about it as well.

Quick update.

We got a letter from BT last week say sorry we were leaving them but we still had time to change our minds. Then on Saturday the Virgin phone line swapped over to our old number.

So all went smoothly without me having to do anything. Result.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom