Question Portable TVs in 2020 (HELP)

blaik00z

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm having problems connecting HDMI to some old portable TVs. Obviously, not an easy project to start off with but I've had some success already and need some general knowledge if it is out there.

There are 2 portable TV sets, one color and one black and white.

I've included images of both television sets and a drawing of the cables that I'm using to connect them.

The issues are as follows:

The color TV plays audio and video but in black and white. I've isolated this issue to being most likely being fixed by a PAL 2 NTSC converter on top of the the HDMI 2 AV converter that I've already had success with. In my research I also saw something about a Radioshack all in one cable that did the trick, if anyone has information about this cable or any other general solution please let me know.

COLOR TV (video B/W)
IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

COLOR TV (Back)

The B/W TV is a little more complicated. The video input on the back is similar to a 3.5mm jack but I've never seen anything like it. I tried using a camcorder cable that has a third ring for video on top of the HDMI 2 AV converter and did get some sort of signal but no video or audio. My guess after some research is that the input is most likely a coaxial input of some sort since the antenna input is the same size and shape. If anyone has any knowledge about whether this is correct, and if it is possible to convert HDMI 2 COAX please let me know.

B/W TV (Back)
IMG_0736.jpeg

drawing tv.jpg

Drawing of Wiring (Both TVs)

Thanks in advance to anyone willing and able to embark on this mission. Please let me know if I can get you any more relevant information.

blaik00z

The video input socket in the pic of your B&W TV looks like a standard RCA Phono socket, the same as what the yellow & white plugs are plugged into on the rear of your colour TV pic.
All you should need is an HDMI to Composite video convertor.
What are you using as a signal source?

Last edited:
Wow another retro TV enthusiast! Welcome to this Forum. Whilst this forum now has many international members it is UK based and fairly European orientated. However many members of this fraternity are retro enthusiasts like yourself.
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but the the first thing that came to my mind is that if my memory is correct people used a NTSC/PAL compatible VHS VCR to record in one standard and playback in the other? However I am sure if you google "Retro TV" you should get a lot of links.
My dad bought this TV in 1950. It contained an innovation that is now my screen name!

I think they brought out a plug-in module that enabled the Bush TV22, or something of that vintage, to get the additional band 3 to enable you to watch ITV. Heady days when you could get the choice of 2 different channels! Try telling the young people of today and they'll never believe you!

The video input socket in the pic of your B&W TV looks like a standard RCA Phono socket, the same as what the yellow & white plugs are plugged into on the rear of your colour TV pic.
All you should need is an HDMI to Composite video convertor.
What are you using as a signal source?

Using a Chromecast currently for the tests, but should be able to connect anything if you wanted to. I did receive a PAL to NTSC converter today and that seemed to fix the color TV, now it plays video in color. What do you mean by RCA Phono socket? I tried a cable that had a 3.5mm to RCA male audio video cable but I also heard a female connector might do the trick.

What do you mean by RCA Phono socket?
The type of socket the yellow and white RCA Phono plugs (shown in your picture) are plugged into are RCA Phono sockets.
They are used for Composite video and audio connections.
Try plugging the yellow connector into that socket... it's a budget B&W Portable TV, that socket marked “Video”, what is printed next to it, I can only make out the word “Video” but the text following it, it's not too clear, what does it say?
it may be a video input only with no audio and possibly meant for the video feed from a CCTV camera.

The type of socket the yellow and white RCA Phono plugs (shown in your picture) are plugged into are RCA Phono sockets.
They are used for Composite video and audio connections.
Try plugging the yellow connector into that socket... it's a budget B&W Portable TV, that socket marked “Video”, what is printed next to it, I can only make out the word “Video” but the text following it, it's not too clear, what does it say?
it may be a video input only with no audio and possibly meant for the video feed from a CCTV camera.

It says "Video In". Now with the RCA female adapter to 3.5mm I was able to get video signal but still no luck on audio.

You're not meant to get audio.
The AV input on that TV is video only.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom