Portable TV - Maplins - L69AU

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by pjjk90, Jan 25, 2008.

1. pjjk90

pjjk90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am considering getting one of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L69AU&DOY=14m1
    Could anyone tell me how good they are(if you have one), its in an opening sale of a new maplins beside me for €70/£52, which seems quite reasonable.
    So if anyone has one, please tell me what they are like.
    Thanks in advance,
    Paddy

2. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I know someone who bought four of them about nine months ago (I think each was around £90 but looks close to identical to 'yours') to use to monitor equipment under test in a laboratory. So it wasn't used as a TV nor was the audio used.

My honest opinion is that it was awful, not so much the image quality, what should one expect at that price, but the ergonomics were so poor. The switches toggled around several facilities and were a pain to set.

Maybe it was bad luck but three out of the four power supplies failed within a month or two and all three replacements went the same way. However the fourth survived. Maplin found replacement power supplies difficult to source as although they were the usual 'walwarts' they were rated at 2 amps. They were in use for six or eight hours continuously every day for two or three days a week. I think he now runs them off of a hidden car battery as the PSU replacement situation became impossible.

Note that I describe units which while looking much the same may not be exatly the same model.

3. pjjk90

pjjk90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up one thismorning, was five euro cheaper than expected(€65), and its quite good. The screen is brilliant, TV reception is actually quite good through the supplied aerial, annoying part is it didn't come with batterys, and it needs 10 x AAs.
    All in all its very good.
    Thanks for your help anyway