Portable Sky+?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Kendal40, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Kendal40

Kendal40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My job requires me to work in two places, both within the UK, and so I have to divide my time between two homes.

One has Sky, but at the other (which is in a block of flats) it's not possible.

I'm considering getting Sky+ for the home which has a dish.

But I'd like to watch Sky+ programmes in both places.

OK - I could copy stuff onto recordable DVD (I've got a Panasonic DMR-E50) but:

a) There would be a drop in quality in any transfer from digital to analogue, and one of the selling points of Sky+ to me is that the recorded quality is effectively very similar to broadcast
    b) Even if I accepted a big drop in quality to copy say 6 hours of programmes onto a DVD overnight that would still be only a small fraction of what would be on the Sky+ (even more so if I went for higher quality and copied only 1 or 2 hours per DVD).

So - could the following work?

I've been intrigued by how easy it seems (judging by various websites, at least) to swap the Sky+ hard drive for a larger one. (Certainly it seems a lot easier than it has been for my Tivos, which I've done).

So would it work to have one regular Sky+ in my home with the dish, a "dumb" Sky+ (ie no dish, no ability to record, no sub) in the flat, three or four hard drives, and simply swap them around every time I travel?

Has anyone tried this?

In particular, would one Sky+ play back programmes recorded on another, especially if the playback Sky+ was not able to record or communicate with Sky?

And will Sky+ lose all its series links the moment I change the hard disk (and if so is it a long or a short task to add back in say 30 or 40 of them)?

Comments or advice please.

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I believe that Sky+ requires a subscription to work and that once you've cancelled your subscription you're not able to view material on your hard drive. So I'm not sure how you'd manage to get a "dumb" Sky+ to work in this case.

I wouldn't have thought that you'd've seen a significant drop in quality by recording to DVD so I'd think that would be the best solution really. Much more portable and you won't have to dismantle your Sky box every week.

I haven't heard if there's any way of playing a hard drive from a Sky+ box on a PC, so that might be an option. On the other hand, it could be massively illegal, so I'd tread carefully!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    all links lost and you will need a smart card with all the same channeels to view them at the flat..... either take sky+box travelling (obvios floor or get a cheap DVD rAM player for flat and transfer on RAM Discs