1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Screens. Any recomendations?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nomad3212001, Oct 26, 2003.

1. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

About to buy my first projector. Have settled on the Sim2 domino. However because of the shape of my room I am having to go with a portable screen and not a fixed one. At the moment I am looking at the da-lite insta theatre.

Does anybody have any experience with portable screens or any recomendations of the best ones to use for home cinema?
    My main problem is height restriction so idealy i would like one with as little black rise as possible as I like to fit in one with a viewing area of 80" minimum.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Cheers
    Eddie

2. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could try nexnix

I got a free portable screen from them when i got my HS10

been using it ever since...great bit of kit and a good picture

think it may of been a sony screen...and i think they were selling for just under £100

3. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your not having any problems with the portable. I was unsure about how good they were for home cinema.

Cheers
    Eddie

4. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    I've just got the Easy Screen from drh screens. (www.drhscreens.co.uk). Bloody expensive (nearly £400) but goes up and down in 2 seconds and seems well made. They also do a cheaper 'lite' screen, but seems a bit more fiddly. Can definitely recommend the easy screen if it's not too expensive (available in 4:3 and 16:9 - 2 sizes for both).

5. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easy screen was actually one of the screens I was looking at. I don't mind paying that kind of money as long as I get a good screen.

I definitely want 16:9 format. What size is yours? My main problem is height at the top of my room. Ideally I would like a screen at least 80" but the height of most screens seems to prevent this as they seem to have at least a 30" black rise at the bottom before you get to the viewing area. How many inches is the black rise at the bottom of the screen on the Easy ones?

Thanks for your help

Eddie

6. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    It looks like the easy screen could be ideal. It has a big black border (46in from the floor including the case), but you can pull the screen up as far as you need. ie if you just stop pulling once you are happy with the height the sreen mechanism just stays there, so you don't have to unravel the whole thing. I've got the big 16:9 one (78 ins diagonal) - they don't seem to offer bigger than this, but maybe worth a call to see if they can make one.
    Hope this helps
    Phil

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,

I have an easy too, also the biggest one.

I shopped around and this was the biggest decent pull up I could find.

The Lite is ok too, I started with one of these for the office and an 8ft manual for the living room. When the wife flipped over the thought of the manual on her ceiling I sent both back for the easy.

It didn't feel so expensive that way!

Both will let you adjust the height, but the easy is, surprsingly, easier!

The Lite is available in 16:9 too, just not on the web, just ask them as they make them on site. A very cheap option and their Matt White material produces a lovely picture.

I found that DRH are very good to deal with.

Cheers
    Marc