1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable MP3 Player ???

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GJC, Feb 21, 2003.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Can anyone recommend a Portable MP3 Player for around £100.

and if poss. a link to the site.

Kind Regards,

GJC

2. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a trip down to dixons..... i know it sounds like a bad idea to start with....... However they sell a multi codec player made by a company called digital square, it has 64MB of onbourd memory and is expandable with MMC memory cards. I have one with a 128MB expansion card and it currently has 56 tracks on it.... by the way its smaller than my ericsson t68!!!! All for the price of £99.99 (plus 50 for expansion card)

3. bing23

bing23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've been doin a bit of research on MP3 / CD players

i have a CD burner - (cost about £30) and a big collection of Mp3's
    and cdr cost next to nothing.
    cdrw = 700mb = 50pence.
    flash rom =128mb = ~£50
    go figure.

see my previous post for lots of rambling links to different ones

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58954

I've pretty much decided to buy an unbranded player from Maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030311114931893&moduleno=34414&modulecode=

49.95 with Id3 tag support - cant seem to find any others with ID3 support even for £80

hope this helps

UPDATE:::
    I did buy that cd/mp3 player and it was crap.

after pressing play on a track it took several seconds to spin up to speed and didnt reveal the track name till the song had been playing for a little while by which time you knew what song it was anyway.
    add to that inability to playist/select next song while one is playing.

found these probs to varying degrees with all the mp3/cds i looked at.

4. funkster

funkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out www.advancedmp3players.co.uk - I've just bought an i-BEAD - it's outstanding! 128Mb of memory (could be bigger but not to worry), FM stereo and fm recorder (of varying quality up to cd quality) voice recorder, 10 graphic equaliser settings, and it's only the size of a lipstick - it's 37grams!! Sound quality is supwerb. Lots of volume and no distortion. I upgraded my earphones to some Koss 'The Plug one's that fit snuggly in your ear..

The customer service I have received from Josh who owns the company is EXCEPTIONAL and I can't recommend his site enough.

Next day delivery is FREE in the UK.

Let me know how you get on!

5. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are some damb tasty mp3players on that site!!!! if only i could have spent a bit more on mine......... even so i think my Zillion is pretty sweet...........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Funkster.

Very Good Site.

Thanks!

----

GJC

7. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the prices on http://www.merconnet.com/ . They are selling mp3 players at US $ prices + duties and shipping ($36). This still works out significantly cheaper than the uk rip off prices.

I've just taken delivery of an mpio fd100 256Kb for £165. The same player is £240+ everywhere else in the uk. Its $219 in the US.....outrageous.

ok, It took a bit longer to get it (1 week), but I think I just hit them being out of stock in the uk office. It arrived today, and I'm very pleased with it. I have just downloaded 7 CD's at a reasonable compression level and I still have 40Mb left. it's even got a radio....very cool. :smashin:

8. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Treo 10 from www.itchest.co.uk

10GB Storage for £120 !!!!!!!!!!

Updatable firmware via the internet and the latest update is fantastic.

I now have about 30 CD's on the player, both in mp3 & wma formats and I have used just over 1GB of the 10 !! ... theres a 15GB option for about £30 more.

Size wise its bigger than a solid state player (about the size of 2 fag packets) ... but the options it opens up are fantastic.

You can play an album, random play by artist, random play in total etc ... with the capacity for about 200 CD's .. thats not bad.

Even though I have a 6 x CD changer in the car, I'm now using this player via the cassette adapter.

Let me know if you need more info.

Mark M

9. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark

This looks good, but whats the interface, all it says is USB but is it 1.1 or 2.0? If it's 1.1 isn't it very slow at transfering MP3s - what sort of speed are you getting?

Giles

10. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought my girlfriend a player NEX II from www.advancedmp3players.co.uk just before Christmas. It was a £69. There's a new version of it now so its a bit more expensive. I bought it without a memory card as we already had a couple of 256Mb hanging around from our Nikon so it made sense for us.

In terms of the player - well it's really plasticy and even has paper inserts, but if you can forget its looks, its actually quite a reasonable player. I guess the best thing about it is that it takes Compact Flash which is cheap as anything Crucial (www.crucial.com/uk) have 256Mb for £45 now, you can also use Microdrives too.

Oh and btw I can definately recomend advancedmp3players, they delivered it next day. And support me (a dumb user)

HTH

11. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, the downside .. yep its USB 1.1 ... I've just ripped the new Placebo album to 128k .wma (blows away .mp3 at 160k IMHO) ... folder size is 43MB, transfer time was 2 minutes and 3 seconds (saddo, I timed it !!)

The upside of course is that, with 10GB storage, you won't have to unload / load all the time to fit on that new CD ... just chuck about 150 CDs on and you'll have plenty of space for the odd 50 or so new ones !!!

Seriously, I now have about 40 CDs worth on this thing and the random play is amazing ... no lag between tracks and it could be anything from Coldplay to The Jesus & Mary Chain !!!

12. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Treo10 / 15 still a rated player? Even 3 months down the line technology changes so fast! where is the cheapest place to buy from? Im gonna have to get one :D

Your advice please :smashin:

13. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Treo 15. It's not the prettiest thing around, but with a cool 15 GB for 150 quid, how can you go wrong !? ;-)

Playback through my Koss Sporta Pro headphones is excellent.

Only 2 drawbacks:
    1. USB 1.1 - but how often do you transfer anyway ? - I just start it and go to bed :)
    2. Display problems. Sometimes it does not come on. Known and common problem - check Adv. MP3 players fopr detail....

I will second the recommendation of the shop - fantastic service !

/BJ

14. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a Treo now! :D its great! can you give us a working link for that problem please? I nearly sent mine back for that.

15. bing23

bing23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Taz

where did you get your treo? www.advancedmp3players.co.uk sayz

"OUT_OF_PRODUCTION: Treo 15 no longer available. New player coming soon from Korea, Pre-order to be notified of arrival."

anyone know what this will be?

16. mjm01

mjm01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try www.itchest.co.uk for the Treo 10 / 15.

They have 1 '10' in stock @ £119.99 + shipping and >50 '15's in stock at £139.99.

Mark M

17. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12