• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

portable laptop

kevykat

Distinguished Member
alright folks.

sick of my acer w500 tablet now. miss the use of a keyboard.
looking for something around a 13" screen, quick and with USB 3.0 and preferably from PC (extended to very.co.uk) world as if anything goes wrong its easy to return it to them. I work offshore so chances of laptop mishaps are very high

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
cheers

Last edited:

jshailes

What's your budget?

I'm a big fan of thinkpad so have a look at the X range there although they are costly. Great build quality and usability though - my current one fell down two flights of stairs at the railway station once and came off almost unscathed - just a bad scuff on one corner.. I'm not sure many other manufacturers would have survived that kind of treatment so well.

The other one that springs to mind is the Dell XPS. Theres a review on theregister if you want more info. Dell also do one thats got a touchscreen that swivels to a tablet if that is of interest.

kevykat

Distinguished Member
cheers for replying. just bought the missus a new one whilst looking online for myself. lol

I have decided i fancy one with an HDD and SSD for fast booting(but if SSD is big enough i could maybe do without HDD), between 12"-14", at least 1 USB 3.0, bluetooth would be nice but not essential, the thinner and lighter the better, and HD Screen.
it will only be used for surfing the web and watching movies etc. but i still like more power than I need. battery life 8hrs+

Say at very top end £900, cheaper the better. i do like the HP spectre which im considering but alot of dosh for not that much

jshailes

It's pretty hard to find a 1080 ultra portable - I think one of the issues might be that the drain it has on battery life.

Do you use linux or have a copy of windows? If so the developer xps 13 is just over budget - 899+VAT. There are often codes online to get money off the dell site though so you might just about get it for 900 inc vat. You get a bit more for your money, I guess this is because it doesn't need the software licences.. There is a windows version, not sure how much it costs

The resolution on the portable thinkpads is 1600x900 I think so that option's out

You mention possibly wanting 2 hard disks.. I think this is very rare - I did come across this on a top end 17" but had never heard of it prior to that. Maybe get a bigger SSD for it or an external USB3 drive?

jshailes

That's a really good idea on the Sony. I wonder where they find the room for it!

Just had a look at the benchmarks of the cpus on the Hp and Samsung - the HP wins by quite a margin, about 50% faster according to cpubenchmark.net

The RAM seems a bit low on both of them, it might be worth getting another 4GB for it.. I'm out of touch with ram prices but probably about £30

kevykat

Distinguished Member
this is the hardest choice ever. the HP ram is not upgradeable but the samsung is upto 8gb. from what I have read.

kevykat

Distinguished Member
the more i look, even the spec of that Sony aint too bad. aint to heavy or big either. what you reckon out of the 3?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom