Portable HDD - videos/jpegs not readable on PC after being plugged in to Samsung TV

Going Grey Now

Morning all,
This is a repeat of my recent thread in the computers forum, but with nearly 100 views and no replies, I’m thinking I’ve posted in the wrong forum.
The title says it all really and I would welcome any help.
My brother has all of his bike photos and videos on a portable HDD. This has been previously connected to a Windows 10 laptop for transferring the files.
He tells me that after plugging the HDD into his new Samsung TV (videos/jpegs all viewable - no problem), when he now plugs the HDD back into his laptop to copy across more files, the laptop won’t recognise the HDD and shows nil under ‘properties’. He can’t now see or copy (in windows explorer) any of the files which are clearly still on the HDD.
My first thought was that the android (or is it Linux) op sys on the TV has somehow corrupted or placed ‘blocking‘ files on the HDD. However, a search suggests that it could be that the TVs op sys has wiped the file index/header? on the HDD.
There are various random solutions for putting this right, but before I do anything and risk what‘s already on the HDD, I thought it sensible to ask fellow AVF members.
And just to say that I currently don’t know what the situation is regarding back up.
Thanks.

notengo13

Install any Linux or boot live Linux OS and try to open hdd on that system.
Or maybe he hit accidentally button for timeshift or PVR and tv format it's hdd for recording. Usually ext4 file sistem on Samsung TV's or exfat.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic 2022 OLED TV hands-on, Picture Settings Discussions, Hi-Fi and AV News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom