Portable HDD loaded with videos/photos wont play on PC after being connected to Samsung TV

Going Grey Now

Evening all,
The title says it all really and I would welcome any help.
My brother has all of his bike photos and videos on a portable HDD. This has been previously connected to a Windows 10 laptop for transferring the files.
He tells me that after plugging the HDD into his new Samsung TV (videos/jpegs all viewable - no problem), when he now plugs the HDD back into his laptop to copy across more files, the laptop won’t recognise the HDD and shows nil under ‘properties’. He can’t now see or copy (in windows explorer) any of the files which are clearly still on the HDD.
My first thought was that the android (or is it Linux) op sys on the TV has somehow corrupted or placed ‘blocking‘ files on the HDD. However, a search suggests that it could be that the TVs op sys has wiped the file index/header? on the HDD.
There are various random solutions for putting this right, but before I do anything and risk what‘s already on the HDD, I thought it sensible to ask fellow AVF members.
And just to say that I currently don’t know what the situation is regarding back up.
Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
I've had success with this tool in recovering data from corrupted file systems, though you do have to purchase the standard version. You should be able to use the demo version to see if it can access the drive before buying.

It can do a quick and full scan, if doing full scan it will take some time, also save the scan results so you don't have to repeat the scan process. Extract as much of the data as possible before doing anything else with the USB HDD like trying to repair its file system.

There is also the possibility the actual USB dock is damaged, if you have another USB dock try putting the HDD into that and see if windows detects.

Last edited:

Going Grey Now

@next010
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I’ve never come across this software before and will have a look.
My brother is visiting today and this will be the first time I’ve had access to the drive. My over-riding aim will be to preserve what’s already there as I currently don’t know the backup position.
As suggested, my first thoughts are to try the HDD in my laptop (not his), swapping out cables and ports.
Thanks

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
There have been other posts over the years where posters have had a similar issue. Does it still continue to work on the tv?

It does as you suggest sometimes mess about with the disk which is really naughty.

Going Grey Now

There have been other posts over the years where posters have had a similar issue. Does it still continue to work on the tv?

It does as you suggest sometimes mess about with the disk which is really naughty.
Yes, it still works on the Samsung TV but nothing shows on the laptop.
Have to admit I’m struggling with this.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Ok, it does sound like you have run into the "bug" that plagues these drives.

It seems some models of Samsung TV don't like drives formatted in NFTS which is often the default format in Windows.

So the good news is it isn't likely to be a hardware issue but just a software issue.

There are a number of suggestions on what causes this fault and a number of suggested quick fixes but the issue I have is that in data loss scenarios you don't want to just start trying random things that result in information being written to the disk. You can inadvertently make things worse and cause yourselves all sorts of problems.

What any professional recovery (or even forensics) company will do is take a byte-by-byte image of the drive and store this on a separate "good" drive. As it is a byte-by-byte it ignores the filesystem completely, copies all data included previously deleted data that hasn't been overwritten, and as you know the data is still there this is a good option. Then you only ever work on a copy of the copy that way you if you do inadvertently make things worse you still have a copy to work from (plus the original drive).

I have previously used this software with good results

There are two products Disk Image and R-Studio, the former used to be free but both are $49.99 currently. The Disk Image though does give 30 day free which might be sufficient for your needs.

Do you have enough disk space to image the drive? It will compress the file but obviously if the external drive is 4TB say, then you would need a reasonable amount of space to image it. You might want to buy a new drive to image it too for example (and then in the future use it as a backup one :nono: )

As @next010 has said some of tools can take an awful long time scanning the drive and in some cases you do get what you pay for. The image creation is relatively fast (depending on the size of the drive) and gives you peace of mind that you won't make it worse.

Then you can try on the image the suggests including chkdsk /f driveletter which is about a basic as they come. The other one appears to be that the permissions have been changed and in both cases the data should be easy to recover.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
If those files are very valuable to you then it needs to be taken to a professional data recovery service

Yes if you don't have the confidence to do this yourself, but for this specific case, this is not a hardware failure but a bug caused by Samsung. If the hard drive had failed then yes I would agree with you.

You will be charged quite a bit for the recovery of data and again if you don't feel confident by all means pursue this approach. But a factor to look out for is you will need to take\send your disk somewhere for recovery.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom