Portable Grill

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dancook, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I need a grill for work, primarily to cook chicken - but I'm sure i'll branch out.

I started with looking at a 2 portion george forman grill, Amazon reviews didn't look promising - people wouldn't use it to cook chicken for fear of salmonella.

I looked at slightly bigger one, people complain about how it dripped fat over the kitchen tops and was a pain to clean - or even burnt the food. There were reviews suggesting you really want removable plates...

I'm getting put off the george forman ones now.. has anyone got suggestions? I do value quality :)

2. oska

oska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Easy Clean Grill & Melt 14525 ?

I have one of the very first George Foreman grills from when they were launched and still use it today. Did some burgers on it last week in fact and they always come out well. Just make sure I turn them 45 degrees halfway through so you don't get too deep grill marks and get the cross hatch effect. They are a pain to clean though but the above has removable grills. I've done chicken before fine, never really worried me.

3. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    How small do you want? There is always the teppanyaki grill that aldi are selling at the moment if there are any left

4. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    It's only for me, maybe if I take it home for my partner too- 'small' isn't a requirement, quality is though. From a quick google the 'teppanyaki grill' seems to be a single plate the food sits on? I'd want something I can close up and return to check in 5minutes or so, don't really want to be watching it.

Oska- I've looked at that '14525' much more promising that other GF grills I've read about - thanks

Just need to convince work to allow me to use it.

5. aymank

aymank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I got a four portion foreman few weeks ago that came up on amazon for 19.99.

Fairly portable.

Been cooking chicken , steaks , burgers on it and it's the best thing I've purchased.

Always just add a lil extra virgin oil either on to the plates or on meat bit of seasoning and always taste good and it's quick.

As for cleaning , after I finished my food I just get a damp cloth and it's easy enough to wipe down. It's when you leave it a while it can be a pain to clean. The tray should mean no fat etc drips on to work surfaces? That can also just be put in the dishwasher .

I wouldn't take amazon reviews too seriously as you will always find negatives on something , for 19.99 it's a no brainier ! :)

6. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    cheers guys, any thoughts on PAT testing?:)

7. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,961
    George Foremans are good bits of kit imo. The reviews you've mentioned (salmonella/ dripping fat) can be cured easily. Cook your chicken properly to avoid salmonella (I'm not sure why a George Foreman would be different to any other grilling method?), and to avoid fat dripping on your worktop, use the supplied tray to catch the fat in!

I can't see any reason why a George Foreman wouldn't pass a PAT (Portable Appliance Test) the same way as any other piece of mains kit tbh.

8. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
  9. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    In the summer we use one of these outside at the table two or three times per week.

After my garage door opener and tv-remote, this Aldi grill is the third best thing I ever bought! It cooks anything.

The last thing we did on it was a whole sea bass wrapped in paper and foil.

Here's a link: ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 26th July 2012

10. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I had a couple of those electric grills - always found them to be a pain to clean.
    I would rather a little portable electric hob and a pan, easier to clean and more versatile for other meals to.

11. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    Aye i think it comes down to do you want to clean a pan or the grill, meat does generally wipe clean quite well off grills ive used but marinades and stuff might be a bit more of a pain

12. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    I bought one of these the other day. All good except the thing keeps turning off,and takes an age for it to come back on again.Not so bad when frying an egg, not so good when cooking chicken.

13. GaseousClay

GaseousClay
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Likewise. Comes up to temp pretty rapidly but once the thermostat clicks off the thing almost goes cold before it reheats again. Very disappointed with it.

14. RedDevil85

RedDevil85
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,652
    +1 :smashin:, Pretty much what i was going to post.

Had 3 different George Foremans (various sizes) over the years and they've all been superb, just don't leave it too long to clean otherwise it's a little more effort once the heat dries it on, although still doesn't take that long. :)