Portable FM and DAB transmitter over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kenm, Dec 13, 2016.

1. kenm

kenm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Maybe somebody has some advice. I have a bluetooth speaker (rechargable), a motorhome, and a mobile phone. While on the move I want to listen to albums and radio, including Radio 2 and Radio 6 Music, and whatever else continental Europe can throw at me. The problem is that while on the road I may have mains electric and internet access, but maybe neither, and maybe one or the other.

Playing albums is not a problem, as phone goes to speaker. FM radio is not a huge problem so long as I some sort of headphone thing acting as an antenna plugged into the phone, as it can send FM to the speaker via Bluetooth. This works but is annoying. Getting Radio 6 Music needs either DAB or internet. Granted I am never going to get this in Europe without internet, but in UK I need either internet or DAB to get Radio 6 Music.

What I need is a portable, rechargable, DAB and FM radio that can send its audio output to the Bluetooth speaker, just like the phone does, when I have no internet. I can find Bluetooth speakers that have built in radios, but can't find a small FM radio with DAB that can output to a Bluethooth speaker.

Anybody have any ideas?

My speaker is Bose® SoundLink® Bluetooth® Speaker III

Yes, I know, I know but it is a good size and sounds pretty good.

Maybe I should have got Digital Radio - DAB radio, R1 MK3: Ruark Audio but the huge external battery adds weight and bulk.

Somebody, somewhere, must make a portable DAB/FM readio that can connect to a Bluetooth speaker? I can't find one.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    All you need is a radio with a headphone output and a Bluetooth transmitter.

3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    As above but why mess around with bluetooth. Just use the output from the radio and plug it into the Aux on the speaker. Or why not just buy a radio and listen to that through it's own speaker?

Pure do a good range of radios that have Dab/FM, rechargeable batteries (and outputs) with good sound.

Or why not buy a DAB/FM sound system for your motorhome, in place of whatever is fitted there now.

4. kenm

kenm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I just found out about those little bluetooth transmitters. I could plug one into the TV's headphone output and anything I can get on Freeview can be sent to the speaker, so I can forget about DAB.

The problem with replacing the sound system is that I suspect that when stationary it will drain the starter battery rather than the leisure battery, which will be a problem when not on hookup. Also, the vehicle circuit switches the radio off after an hour or so which is annoying if parked up for a while.

Thanks guys, I think there is a solution using the TV and transmitter and if that is no good in practice one of those little Sony XDR-P1 and a bit of cable is the answer. It is so small I could velcro it to the back of the speaker, and the lithium battery is far more practical than messing about with AAs etc. The Pure stuff looks good in theory but I got a Tempus 1 a few years ago and it is probably the most horrid thing I have ever owned. No doubt they have improved, but once bitten and all that.

5. lloydav

lloydav
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found what you're looking for: Imperial DABMAN 1

6. kenm

kenm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: