1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable DVD virgin, trying to make a decision but lost in the jungle of choice :-(

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Cornishcelt, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Cornishcelt

Cornishcelt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am involved in a quest to buy myself a PDVD and am at the age where I like to research things that I buy :) (WELL over 21!)

OK, so I wander into my local Comet and see a choice of one or two Phillips models, a Goodmans, one Tosh and a couple of others. (see their website and you will see what I mean). The staff (of course) new none of the answers to my questions so maybe you highly motivated people can help :lease:

I have just bought a (rather sexy) Canon digital camcorder and plan to buy a DVD burner for my PC soon, so as I can burn the camcorder stuff onto DVD and then play them on the PDVD. Problem is, in the meatime, I need to continue using VCD (svcd/vcd, difference?)

So, I am looking for a portable DVD player that will:

Have multi-region (if only by codes)
    Widescreen ability.
    Will play as many format DVD's and CD/VCD's as I possibly can. (I don't understand all the formats so I am trying to avoid unpleasent surprises now or later if possible) :(
    Enough sockets to connect it to and from my camcorder, TV, video and PC (possible?) and possibly the cat (you get the idea).
    Good sound and picture quality (directly linked to price I guess?).
    Good retail or manufacturer backup (so not from PC World then!).
    Decent battery type and life.
    Connections for car.
    Case ?? (please :smoke: )​
    I have no preference in manufacturer or age, and although price is a factor I would rather pay an extra £50 or so rather than having to 'compromise' on things I need.

I don't mind buying online but am just as happy buying in the High Street.

There, that will give you all something to think about! Many thanks for any ideas, warnings or opinions in advance.

Dave

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Lots of the cheaper models ie sub £200 tend to generic spin offs.

Although OK for the price, they suffer from relative poor quality build (plasticky and flimsy) but worst of all the bad offenders have poor quality screens. Picture will suffer from graininess, panning lines, and general poor panning images.

If you want the best, Panasonic make them. Richersounds are doing this one for £249 which is a stonking bargain. I sincerely doubt you will regret it over the other models out there.

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=302473

3. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1