Portable DVD Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark.balcombe, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am thinking of purchasing a Portable DVD Player for use whilst travelling on the train.

Has anyone any advice or experience with them?

Am thinking of buying a Panasonic one as they also playback DVDRAM disks (also thinking or buying DVD-RAM recorder).

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Mark Balcombe
    mark.balcombe@btinternet.com

2. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Mark,

I bought the Panasonic DVD LV50 as it plays cartridgeless RAMs. It's a fine little player, with a good detachable rechargeable battery pack.

I have it connected to my DMR E20 and use it to play back RAMs that I've edited the adverts out of, when I want to transfer to dvd-r.
    Sometimes it can take over 30 seconds to 'find' the RAM disc, a point which is indeed mentioned in the instructions.

It does the job perfectly and is a great little unit; but only buy one if you really want a portable dvd; getting an RAM recorder with a hard drive built in would have been a better option for dvd-r burning off ram; quicker to set up and no analogue playback loss of quality.

Ian's two pence worth...

Cheers,

3. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    An important warning, but it depends on the model's capabilities. (I bought mine in Singapore)

The LV50 is multi region and multisystem; it handles both PAL and NTSC discs perfectly. I have region one NTSC discs in my collection that play fine, as well as my region 2 discs.
    There is a menu setting that allows auto switching for NTSC / PAL on the play back screen.

You can select it to output an NTSC signal through the AV out, which is important if you want to copy an NTSC DVD on the E30; most dvd players output a PAL 60 signal for NTSC discs, which the E30 can't handle. This results in recordings with an inch of black and white patterns at the bottom of the picture.
    The little LV50 outputs NTSC, allowing a proper NTSC recording to be made on the E30...

One bad pouint is edit points on RAMs (ie where the adverts have been removed) sometimes show as a half second pause.
    Otherwise, it's fine!