portable dvd players - basic questions

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by bob6831, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bob6831

bob6831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I have seen prices in our area for portable DVD players really come down... now a lot are in the $75-100 price range.
    Questions, and I know some of these are very beginner type questions:D :
    1) Can most, if not all 'DVD' players play CDs? I mean files (like movies) that I have transferred from my desktop to a CD.
    2) Will I have a way to select 1 movie from total of maybe 10 on a CD?
    3) Is a 7" screen too small to view from maybe 5 feets away. Would 8-9" screen be much better?
    4) Is there a big difference of what I would get to work with if I bought a $75 Durabrand vs a $150 Philips?
    .... Have more questions, but am tired now.......(worked 3rd shift)
    Thanks in advance for the education.
    Bob

2. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    1) yes. Most will play avi, divx, although you shoudl check the specs before you buy.
    2) yes. if it plays divx, it will more than likely have some kind of menu display, similar to windows explorer.
    3) 7" is definitely too small for 5ft away! As is 8-9" in my opinion. We have a 10.2" and use it about 1-1.5ft away.
    4) Can't comment on specific models, but I'd usually say you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

3. bob6831

bob6831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does help. Thank you.
    Would be interested in any further details, or contrarian opinions.
    Thx again.
    Bob

4. nicch

nicch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1) Most portable DVD players with screens, especially at the lower end don't handle divx/xvid. They usually play DVD,VCD, and often can play jpeg (some require it to be kodac-cd to do so). Additionally just because it plays DVD's (which are mpeg2 files) doesn't mean it will play Mpeg2 videos plonked on a disc (often they have to be made into SVCDs). However there are a several players that do, you just need to check the specs.

2) If they have a file explorer (ones that play divx or MP3's usually do, and ones that allow jpeg's to be viewed do usually), then yes

3) 7" is fine upto about 5' away IMO, though obviously as you get further away the less detail you can see. I usually watch upto 2' away. I've a 10" tv that I used to watch in a caravan upto about 10' away, but you really had to peer :D

4)Hmm, it depends. The phillips may have a better LCD, some of the big brands are known for good screens. With a cheap player you often get cheaper components used, e.g the case may be a bit more flimsy, the LCD not squarely fitted. Then again cheaper players often are more resiliant at playing whole varieties of media and some brands are known to be very picky with the DVDR discs - this is because cheap generic PC DVDrom drives are used in cheaper end players. As far as Divx playback goes, the decoder chips are cheap so its more to do with what chip is in the drive, you won't necessarily find dearer or cheaper brands fare better on the whole. Maybe find out if the company produces firmware updates or that the device IS firmware upgradable - it does often mean that any niggles might be addressed later.