Portable DVD players and VCD / mp3 disks

J

JohnnyStar

Nearly all portable players advertise as being able to read cd-r , VCD, DVD-R and mp3s.

My questions are:

1) If a player can read cd-r's, can movies burned onto cd-r's in a VCD format using Nero be played by the player or will the player only play authentic VCDs from the Far East?

2) Can mp3 files be burned onto a blank DVD-R and then played by the player or will a player only play mp3s from a cd-r? (Reason being I was wondering if I could get 4.7Gig of songs on one disk instead of only 700Meg with a cd-r)

3) Same as 2) but substituting "mp3" with "jpeg".

Sorry if these questions seem very pedestrian to you old timers but I'm looking to make a portable purchase and want to be clear on what I will be able to watch or listen to and on which format.

Cheers,

Johnny.

1) Yes. At least, it all works with my Panasonic portable. CDR or CDRW burnt as VCD format using Nero to burn and TMPGENC to encode the VCD file. But I should say that I only ever make fully-compliant VCDs using the VCD spec for MPEG files. I can't confirm that XVCDs (ie VCDs with non-standard file structures) work.

2) Don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom