1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bing, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Bing

Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am seriously considering buying the Panasonic DVDLV50 which I have seen for £450 (+ £10 delivery) I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me any honest reviews/opinons on purchasing this player or a portable dvd player in general.

The reason for my possible purchase is a) to watch at work and B) to take on business trips.

Can you confirm that this portable dvd player comes with a rechargable battery (and can be hooked up via the mains).

I have seen a player with a 9" screen but can not afford to spend a grand.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes it's quite a good player for the price. Plays DVD-R and RAM disks no problem as well !

The battery is rated at 2.5hrs which is a bit disappointing if your watching a movie like LOTR. Mains adaptor is supplied.

Screen is nice, but the "tilt" concept on these new players screens seems a bit flimsy.

The LV65 version is better the looking of the two IMHO and it also comes with a SD card slot allowing further flexibility over the LV50. You can get the LV65 for £460 or £499 MR from the place below. Great price.

http://www.hiwayhifi.co.uk/home/navigator.htm

Probably biggest let down on these two are their connectivity, specifically, lack of outputs. It's predecessors LV55/LV75/LV60/LV70 were far better for this and could easliy be hooked upto external equipment as they had an S-Video output and Optical output. Surprisingly these portable have a very respectable output quality.

The LV50 and LV65 can be hooked up to external equipment but you now have to buy a special cable to be able to do it. This does not come with the players and is quite dear.

Hope this helps make your mind up, though the LA95 is the one to go for if you have the money !
    :)