Portable DVD player question/recommendation

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Drifty, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I'm in the market for a portable/small DVD player with component/svideo outputs/other. (to be honest - I'm not sure what the best possible output would be from these types of player)

The primary use will be in the bedroom hooked up to my Samsung LCD TV - there isn't a lot of space for a "full size" player - so something with a small footprint or portable that I can put into a drawer would be ideal.

I'm not up to speed with the latest DVD players and I know nothing about the downside of portable players.

Any tips or idea?

Many thx - Drifty

2. luke_1983uk

luke_1983uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    SDP-1250 10.2" Portable DVD / MP4 player with card reader

i dont really think you can go wrong with this portable ive had it for about three months and i am very glad i choose this one, the screen quality is perfect.

hope this helps

3. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the tip, one question tho - is it noisey in any way? - fan or disc spinning/reading, etc?

Just thinking on how well it would perform in a bedroom watching a film at low'ish volume.

ta

4. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've got a Phillips PET700 (£129.99 from dixons) and have to say i'm very impressed with it :thumbsup: It does only have a 7inch screen but is a very good one. Has lots of options in the setup menus. only downside is that it outputs composite only (tis clean though), but would be fine for the bedroom, (even looks fab on my 37in plasma, though my plasma does have a very good composite decoder in it :D ) We use the portable DVD player in our bedroom connected to a tv, and is great cos its tiny, also means when where on holiday or something we can take it with us :D its also very quite, and has no fans.

5. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi, i would go for a small home player rather than a portable, the pq (picture quality) will be much better and you really want component out to your lcd for best pq with a good quality cable, say camridge audio!

6. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had a free Hitachi portable with our plasma, rubbish LCD pic, but spanking composite out picture to TV - sharp - cut yourself with the clarity, excellent colour too.
    Does feature svideo out, but the connection is 3.5mm or somesuch - God knows
    where you get this non std cable! :rolleyes:

IMHO its worth a look, would beat many budget players for external output picture, that includes Panny S29 - not difficult here though. :rotfl:

7. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've hit the nail on the head with regards to a portable option - I'm not interested in the built in screen as it'll only be used with a HD LCD TV

Sounds like there are certainly a few options out there :thumbsup: - I'll do some digging over the weekend!!