Portable device to measure walked distance

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
Hi All, I've been given a 4 wheel walker which I've started using. I'm gradually extending the amount I walk and would like to find out how far I'm managing to go.

It doesn't have to be a watch or anything posh, just something I can shove in my pocket so I can monitor my progress. A step meter wouldn't be any good as I walk very slowly and vary the step length.

I went for a walk this morning with my Wife for the first time in more years than I can remember where I wasn't using my scooter and really enjoyed it:thumbsup:

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

What phone do you have ? Plenty of apps that will do that
Samsung have a built in one, but there is strava or mapmyrun

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
What phone do you have ? Plenty of apps that will do that
Samsung have a built in one, but there is strava or mapmyrun
It's a moto g8 power. I'm not sure if it could be used for that as I mainly use if as a phone, very unconventional I know.

I'll have a look at your other suggestions and look into whether the phone could be used.

John

Its android and has GPS, so just head to the playstore, download strava or mapmyrun .
Every time you go for a walk hit start on the app and it will track you

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
Its android and has GPS, so just head to the playstore, download strava or mapmyrun .
Every time you go for a walk hit start on the app and it will track you
Thanks @John, I'll have a look at the two apps and give them a try.

As I said, I never thought of using the phone :facepalm: I'll give them a try and report back.

John

Don't be tempted into subscribing. You don't need that. Just the fee version will be fine.

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
Very good advice, I'll make sure I don't click the wrong button.

Downloaded mapmyrun and set to walk as I felt strava was aimed more at cyclists.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Last edited:

oneman

You don't even need addition apps, Google Fit is built into Android and can track your activity. You just need to enable it's permissions.

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
These aren't something I've ever looked into as I've never needed them, but thanks to the forum I've now got a few choices.

I've installed and set up mapmyrun and gave it a very small try this afternoon, seemed to work fine, If I have any problems I'll give the google app a go. The more the merrier, then it gives me a choice as to which one suits my usage best.

I forgot to press post reply, stupid boy :( :facepalm:

Anyway, app used this morning and worked well, showed exactly what I wanted, my average was 36 steps a minute, my Wife hasn't walked so slow in her life and it was me asking her to slow down:blush::rotfl:

Thanks very much @John, I would never have thought of an app, let alone one used for running/cycling:thumbsup:

John

No problem,
never used Google fit so couldn't recommend it.
I think strava was originally aimed at cyclists , but they all pretty much track a whole load of exercises now
Good luck in achieving your goals

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
No problem,
never used Google fit so couldn't recommend it.
I think strava was originally aimed at cyclists , but they all pretty much track a whole load of exercises now
Good luck in achieving your goals
Thanks, no goals just want to try to get a bit more mobile, any walking will help keep my legs working and its good not to rely on the scooter all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom