Portable Amp for Beats Pro

GSARider

Hi guys, I use the Apple Lossless format for all my music on my iPad and iPhone, recently upgraded my Bose headphones to Beats Pro and sound quality is great.

My question is basically, is there an amp that can improve the sound further that is also portable and I can use on the move?

Drubbing

Personally, I'd say you've downgraded. Price is no indication of quality, especially given Beats are hugely overpriced. Even more so than Bose.

Amps won't make them better cos Beats don't require one. they'll make it louder which isn't the same thing.

GSARider

Well I disagree, sound is way better than from my Bose Headphones and I thought that headphone amps was more about getting clearer sounds?

Drubbing

You're welcome to disagree about the sound, it's your money and ears.

Amps don't make things/clearer/better/bassier. All they do is amplify. If your source is average, or music is poorly ripped or recorded (and we all have some of those) amplification make any artefacts easier to hear.

And if the phones don't require amping, the benefits are minimal to nil.

GSARider

Having read round various sites, the opinion seems to have been an amp improves quality regardless of headphone brand, which is why I asked.

GBDG1

Distinguished Member
Having read round various sites, the opinion seems to have been an amp improves quality regardless of headphone brand, which is why I asked.

The beats pro are supposed to be great straight from source. The issue is that they are vastly over priced. You're getting £80 performance from a £250 pair of headphones. I wouldn't attempt to improve that by spending even more money on an amp. The money would be better invested in another pair of headphones.

GSARider

Having listened to around 30 different pairs of headphones and yes including Grados ( which I can buy with substantial discounts, at trade price), i preferred these.

There seems to be a lot of bashing folk that buy Beats Pro...give it a rest chaps, you choose what you want and let others buy what they like.

What you're expressing is your opinion on how you think your headphones sound and whilst I don't agree, I respect your right to buy what you want...so give it a rest....:smashin:

Drubbing

I stopped bashing them after my first comment.

Don't listen to people who say amps makes phones sound better. What improvements are they talking about? They are probably talking rubbish and confusing louder with better, because amps don't make bassy phones clearer, or 'add' SQ.

If a phone doesn't require power, and is designed to run form a portable source, it will not benefit much if at all, certainly nowhere near the cost of the amp - for a good one. Cheap amps are nothing but bass boosters and Beats certainly don't need those, but I can see why some Beats punters think more and louder bass is awesomeness.

Spending money on something that makes a noticeable difference like LOUDER can induce a strong placebo effect of improvement.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom