Port plug or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by redz, Jul 24, 2018.

1. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HI,

I have bought a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500 a few months ago and only really getting down to really setting them up.

What are people thoughts on the bass port plugs? would i benefit using these or not?

They are running on a Denon AVRx 6400H and also using a pair of Paradigm Servo 15 subs.

Thoughts?

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    They are your speakers, in your room and your ears so why not try it out and trust in your ears. All others can tell you about is their speakers in their room with their ears which isn't really relevant to your setup.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,306
    Play them in a stereo mode with pure direct engaged which will treat your speakers as being full range. Just listen to the bass with and without bunging the ports and just do what suits your ears and room. I have my KEF R300s half ported as this is what sounds just right with the speaker positioning in the room. It will not effect the bass when watching films or broadcasts as the speakers should be set to small with a crossover of 80hz.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Generally the Port Plugs are used if you are having Placement problems. Placed too close to the walls and the bass can increase but not in a good way. While the bass increases, typically what you will hear is the Midrange becoming more muddy. So, if the speakers can't be moved, you can plug the ports and soften the bass, and that might bring back the Midrange clarity.

Try it with and without, see which one you like best. Simple as that.

Steve/bluewizard

5. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks guys, i think i was being a bit lazy as the plugs are in the loft! i will get em back out and have a play.

Whats the thoughts on Bi-Amping? i have the spare channels to do this but unsure what benefit i will get

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,306
    Bi-amping brings little if any benefit, especially so if using a receiver as the power has to be shared around anyway. For true bi-amping it would need another separate unit, even then I would say that would only be a purposeful use if music was the overriding use of the amp. With a receiver, even one as good as the 6400, I have a 6200, music will only come to life by the use of a quality integrated stereo amp that has HT bypass.

7. gcogger

gcogger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    If you want to see what sort of change it would make, try stuffing something else into the port as a temporary measure. Even something like a sock would give you an idea as to the kind of effect it would have. If it seems promising, go and find the proper port bungs.

8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    ^ They would need to be audiophile grade socks to work effectively

9. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Or smelly old ones that humm! :rotfl:

10. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    you can stop the humm by grounding them :smashin:

11. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    oh dear the jokes are getting worse... cant imaging what the comments would be if my first choice of title was "Butt plug or not?" lol

12. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    Butt plugs cause too many reflections

13. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    surly only the mirrored ones! o_O

14. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Just being nosy... can I ask why you choose to use big twin subs with big floorstanders? IMO, the advantage of floorstanders is usually in the bass department (for which you have the subs). Floorstanders often, but not always, have some downsides when it comes to reproducing further up the frequency range, e.g. the larger front baffle and bigger cabinet panels are often, not always, more prone to adding their own sound than smaller baffles and smaller cabinet panels.

How have you set up the AVR (and subs) with respect to bass management? I can see the opportunity for excessive bass here. What's your room size/area?

Bi-amping - I wouldn't bother. Money spent doing it is usually better spent elsewhere.

15. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Your right i probably dont need the subs with these speakers but excessive bass is exactly what i what i like. :D:D

surface area and displacement are more often than not the key to serious low end and can also allow the floor standers to be more punchy. i have probably over spent in what i needed but i now have the flexibility to set up as i need to.

the subs are set to only produce below 60 and the floor standers at 80 this allows for roll off.i haven't put any meters on it but sounds like its working ok so far. tuned by ear with a slight phase adjustment and also using the Audyssey set up

Room size is 4.5m x3.5m and yes all of my kit is probably too big for the room and wavelengths etc but I'm confident i can get the best out of it.

i have considered that maybe i dont need both subs now and may consider removing one. it would be great in my office! lol

16. andy mc

andy mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I take it you live in a house in the middle of a very large field :)

17. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i wish, would be able to have more subs then lol

just a simple detached house. :laugh:

18. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    That's what I was thinking. And yes, your room size (about 16 sq.m.) is, in my experience, too small for the setup you have to give a well-balanced sound but I also appreciate that's not what you're after.

Honestly, you'd get a better sound with smaller front speakers because you're not making use of the MA's bass extension anyway. Spending the same money on a pair of high quality smaller speakers (maybe standmount or small floorstanders) would likely give better audio quality. IME, small speakers generally image better and, designed well, often have lower colouration too. Speakers such as the ATC SCM11 or even the KEF LS50 and MA Silver 100. That said, at least with the MA floorstanders you have the flexibility to listen full-range with the subs turned off if you so wish (e.g. for serious music listening).

I don't use subs but I think they could be useful in a small-ish listening room, such as yours, in obtaining an accurate tonal balance in comparison to a pair of large floorstanders because volume, crossover and phase are usually adjustable whereas that's not possible with typical passive speakers - unless you go down the Dirac/MiniDSP route (where anything is possible).

To go back to your original question: I think the bungs will make little if any difference to the level and quality of bass in the room because the MA's aren't being used to produce deep bass anyway (which is where ports come in). However, some midrange often escapes from speakers' ports so bunging them up should reduce that and may improve the sound slightly.

19. redz

redz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the thoughts.

I do intend to use the 500's in our mode for music too and find the the subs aren't really needed unless I'm home alone and want to go full on sound system style lol.

I'm going to try the plugs tomorrow. :D

20. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I’ve bi-amped with an AV-R in the past. It was very meh... As noted above, your AVR is still just sharing it’s available power. You will get some clarity improvement, but nothing amazing and bass punch didnt seem to change.

I have also bi-amped with a stereo power amp pair, this works much better...

If you want better bass out your floorstsnders I’d personally recommend a separate power amp. Even good AVR’s can be improved with the addition of a modest power amp.