1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port noise..vrp 1000

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by oldschoolsystem, Sep 20, 2005.

1. oldschoolsystem

oldschoolsystem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems that on some songs my subwoofer is making a whoofing noise. its sortof like a farting noise. is there somethign wrong with the sub or is it the air coming out of the port...i would be gratefull for any suggestions or advice.

2. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Im afraid you are right. the 'chuffing' sound you are hearing is coming from the port.
    As far as im aware there isnt much you can do about it unless you go for a 'closed box' sub.

3. bilba

bilba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I looked up VRP1000 on Google and see that it has a rear firing port. Make sure you don't have it too close to the wall. It needs about the same amount of clearance as the port is wide. Four inches should be plenty.

A port will "chuff" when the airspeed gets too high. Designers get around this by using a larger diameter port. Unfortunately the length of the port needs to be increased in proportion to the area to maintain the tuning frequency.

For compact ported subwoofers, there is a limit to how long a port will fit in the box. Of course, on the plus side, your ported design will play lower and louder than if it was sealed.

4. oldschoolsystem

oldschoolsystem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok. well ill make sure it has room between the port and the wall. hopefully the chuffing wont be noticable from the sitting position. i think it only is from behind the sub.