exponential

Hi guys.

I'm currently using a pair of Dali Opticon 6 for stereo only but their positioning is not great.
It's a corner set up so, unfortunately, my speakers are close to the walls.
The left speakers is around 10cms from the wall at an angle of around 45 degrees with the left side of the speaker being much closer than the right side.
The right speaker has a lot more clearance due to a fireplace that doesn't allow me to position the speaker as I would wish. This speaker has a good 1 foot of clearance.

When I run Audyssey, it always sets them to "full range" which I change to "small" with an 80hz crossover.
The speaker has two rear ports which I decided to stuff with socks on my next room correction.
The result was that Audyssey then set my speakers to "small" with a 40hz crossover.

Can anyone explain why this happened and should I leave the socks in or not?
I've seen people putting drinking straws in their ports when close to walls. Is this a "thing" or not?

Mike.

DodgeTheViper

I wouldn’t worry too much about were the AVR/Audyssey sets the crossovers. It’ll be dependant on how you listen. The very brief bottom line is, if they are very capable and full range and you listen in two channel only, you may want to set then to Large. If you listen in multi channel, so movies etc and have a sub, you may want to set them to Small.

Now, they can be ported or bunged. For this, only you can make this decision as it will largely be your preference.

gibbsy

Experimentation is the best way, your ears will tell you. It may be best to try half ported and then walk around your room to see if you have any boom, if so make adjustments in either toe or more bunging. Try the KEF approach and cut foam to fit for fully bunged and with hollowed out centre for half port.

exponential

I wouldn’t worry too much about were the AVR/Audyssey sets the crossovers. It’ll be dependant on how you listen. The very brief bottom line is, if they are very capable and full range and you listen in two channel only, you may want to set then to Large. If you listen in multi channel, so movies etc and have a sub, you may want to set them to Small.

Now, they can be ported or bunged. For this, only you can make this decision as it will largely be your preference.

Hi dodge.

They are very capable yes, don't go as deep as some (quoted at 49hz min) though but still, a good "full range" speaker.
I am only on 2 channel at the moment (plus sub) so would like to set them on "full range" and set my sub to LFE only.

In my head, setting them on small with an 80hz crossover makes me feel like I'm missing out on something. Ridiculous I know....
Like a child choosing between two chocolates then instantly regretting it thinking he/she has missed out..:rolleyes:.

Why o why are we given so much choice! :rotfl:

I do think the corner placement is a problem to be honest. :(

exponential

Experimentation is the best way, your ears will tell you. It may be best to try half ported and then walk around your room to see if you have any boom, if so make adjustments in either toe or more bunging. Try the KEF approach and cut foam to fit for fully bunged and with hollowed out centre for half port.

Ok, I'll try that and do some critical listening. Is there any particular type of foam I need to buy? I know socks aren't exactly ideal..:D

DodgeTheViper

Can you post a pic of were you have them in the room ?

Soft and squishy foam will do it ;)

exponential

Can you post a pic of were you have them in the room ?

Soft and squishy foam will do it ;)

I'm away from home at the moment but I'll have a look through my phone to see if I have anything that could help you....:smashin:

exponential

Ok, found a couple when I first got the speakers last month and another from my TV re-calibration.

Screenshot_20180328-205223.png Screenshot_20180328-205239.png Screenshot_20180328-205306.png Screenshot_20180328-205340.png Screenshot_20180328-205217.png

The position has altered slightly now as I've fitted spikes with spike shoes which has forced me to bring the speakers away from the wall slightly but you get the general idea.

If you can't see the pictures, I'll re-post as full images.

Mike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180328-205340.png
    Screenshot_20180328-205340.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 681

DodgeTheViper

Hi Mike,

If that is the best place you can have the TV in the room, this is what I would do.

Angle the TV/Stand so it is more equal into the corner. This will free up more space for the Right speaker and allow the Left speaker to be moved further over. I would then use port bungs for your speakers, EQ if you have it, don’t worry if you don’t. When you’ve done that, spend a bit of time listening to them in that position and config. Then switch to porting them and assess both configurations.

Find another place for the occasional table if you can.

Last edited:

exponential

Hi Mike,

If that is the best place you can have the TV in the room, this is what I would do.

Angle the TV/Stand so it is more equal into the corner. This will free up more space for the Right speaker and allow the Left speaker to be moved further over. I would then use port bungs for your speakers, EQ if you have it, don’t worry if you don’t. When you’ve done that, spend a bit of time listening to them in that position and config. Then switch to porting them and assess both configurations.

It's the worst place isn't it really.
I would love to move the set up across to the window which is on the right of the fireplace.
That would give me good stereo separation, symmetry and distance from the wall to allow the speakers to breathe.
Thing is, there is a disturbance in the force.....my bloody wife...:laugh::D.
She's resisting my suggestions so I'll have to play the long game....;)

I like your suggestion, I'll do what I can with it but it's a curved TV stand (we got it to match the curve of the TV which I don't regret buying at all) :facepalm:.
The stand is wider at the rear which really restricts placement.
Plus, I have two kids, the boy is two years old and if I move the right hand speaker out any more than it is, hellhbe right in there :rotfl::laugh:.

Corner placement is a pain in the a**e isn't it...it unbalances everything. :(

exponential

Dodge.

My speakers have two ports, one for low bass, one for mid...do I bung both or just the bottom one that deals with low bass?

When I carried out the room EQ with audyssey, I really could hear the reverb from the left speaker against the corner.
I was stood in the kitchen whilst it did it's thing and I could "feel" the reflected energy. Crazy huh?

DodgeTheViper

Well, we all have compromises to deal with and we just have to make good use of what we have to work with.

I was going to ask you what’s the situation with the other side of the room and I was thinking about the depth of your TV stand also.

Corners aren’t great but it is what it is and you can only do the best you can. Maybe you can change things around as your kids get a little older. As for your good lady. What can sometimes work to help bring them round a little is to show her the posts and suggestions on here :D

DodgeTheViper

I know a few that have shown their good lady’s the posts on here (AVF) to explain what it is we are trying to do ;)

exponential

Well, we all have compromises to deal with and we just have to make good use of what we have to work with.

I was going to ask you what’s the situation with the other side of the room and I was thinking about the depth of your TV stand also.

Corners aren’t great but it is what it is and you can only do the best you can. Maybe you can change things around as your kids get a little older. As for your good lady. What can sometimes work to help bring them round a little is to show her the posts and suggestions on here :D

Here is a pic of the window area. It was taken on Christmas Eve last year so excuse the kids but it's the best I can do....

Screenshot_20180328-214759.png

I feel that it would be a much better area to work with.
With the TV stand being curved, it's an odd shape to deal with.
You have to account for the curve so the depth isn't the "true" depth.
It's 500mm deep but, due to the curve, the spacial depth is 750mm.
Because of the curve, on the edges, it is wider at the rear than at the front.
This makes you angle the speakers inwards to follow the curve as placing the speakers face on looks wrong.
Thing is, my speakers are designed to NOT be toe'd in at all.
Not great...:thumbsdow

I will consider showing her the posts but I'm editing out the "disturbance in the force" bit.:laugh::laugh::D

DodgeTheViper

There’s a few things you could do but remember the compromises ;)

Try it were it is first, going with what I suggested, and just take it from there.

exponential

There’s a few things you could do but remember the compromises ;)

Try it were it is first, going with what I suggested, and just take it from there.

Will do dodge.

I'm back home tomorrow so I'll give it a try. Thanks mate. I'll post back with updates as time goes on...:smashin::smashin:

Thanks again..:thumbsup:

exponential

@exponential how did you get on?
Hi.

I ultimately sold the Dali's because, regardless of bunging the ports, the bass output was just too much.
Those speakers need to be at least a metre from the front wall to avoid the boundary bass reinforcement.

You would think I would've learnt a lesson from this and bought more suitable speakers wouldn't you....well, I thought that spending more money was the answer so bought a pair of Spendor A7's with their fancy bottom rectangular rear port.
Boy was I wrong! :D

The Spendors are terrible near walls! I get just over 10db of bass boost which even room correction software struggles to deal with. The only option is to apply a crossover to my subs which is what I've done.

I have decided I'm selling the Spendors and have bought a pair of active Genelec 8341's.
They are like a revelation! I doubt very much I'll be venturing down the passive speaker route ever again! :)

ItIsTerry

Novice Member
I think you sold them prematurely. I have the Dali Rubicon 6 speakers in a 12' x 12.6" room which is smaller than yours and the experts say won't work. I had the same boom problem as you with the speakers angled in the corner. I put both speakers parallel with the back wall and brought them more into the room and they sound fantastic. Because the distance to the fireplace is tight you could also try putting 1 speaker on each side of the fireplace and move them forward to where your green carpet is

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom