Porsche Tiptronics - why cheaper?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by dr_mabuse, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Calling all Porsche owners

Why are all Tiptronic variants - irrespective of which model in the range - cheaper than the manual equivalents, both privately and at official Porsche dealers?

Is it a crap system? A colleague of mine has a 996 Tip and he swears by it: the laziness of a full Auto when you want it, no tired left leg in traffic, and the wheel mounted button shift for when the mood takes you. He has owned several Porsches - including the infamous 73 Club Sport - and he says he won't go back to manual again, and he's about to trade to a 997.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no purist who would launch into sneering derision at the thought of an auto - but I do enjoy driving on a great road, when you're working the box as you see fit to create a memorable drive.

It's just that I finally have the means to buy a used Porsche and it can't be ignored that you can get a lower mileage or newer age/spec model for the same money if you forgo the manual.

Any Tiptronic owning members out there who can comment on it as a system, not only for everyday commuting / pottering about, but for a full on sunday morning drive on your favourite road?

Thanks

dr_m

2. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    I think it's purely because it's an old fashioned auto (rather than the new PDK gearbox) and as such isn't as involving as the manual.

It's also only 5-speed, rather than 6.

If you want an auto, you'll be happy with a Porsche tiptronic, but if you test drive both I'm sure you'll choose the manual.

:lesson:
    sidicks

3. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    i suspect it's the old 'a sports car shouldn't be an auto' thing and they're in less demand. if I were to buy a Porsche it would be a manual one every time.

4. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    as said the old tiptronic is based on an auto system and like just about every auto system is suxs big time and defiantly out of place in a porsche

however porsche have finally released a car with a DSG arrangement :clap::thumbsup: however they went and messed it up by designing there own paddle system rather than using the pretty now standard right paddle for up and left paddle for down (even on a F1 car?) and this has pretty much been slated by the press so this may change to the norm in future cars.

incidentally porsche reckon they where the first to use such a system in there leman cars a very long time ago.

if i was ever lucky enough to get one i would pick the PDK system, manuals are laughable historical irrelevances now :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We have a Tiptronic on a 3.2 Boxster which my wife wanted as the clutch was a bit too heavy on the manual. The latter is great on an open road but creeping along in traffic can be a pain. The auto seems responsive enough for our needs and whilst we drive in a spirited manner when conditions allow we aren't interested in entering the traffic light grand prix

6. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks to all for replying.

The PDK is only on 08 year models and onwards so that's out of the equation for me :(

In principle I agree that a manual is preferable in a genuine sports car - and indeed the car for sale that I have my eye on is a manual - it's noticeable that a higher spec and/or lower mileage car can be bought for the same money if it's a tip.

Fingers crossed for the upcoming test drive then... if the weather relents a bit that is!

dr_m