Porsche Macan will be EV only soon!!!

gangzoom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been really critical of VAG over their dieslegate actions. However action speaks louder than words, and it looks like VAG are ready to truly drive and LEAD the EV revolution.

Yesterday Porsche announced their best selling product will soon be EV only!!!

This one single announcement is going drive EV adoption quicker than anything anyone else can do, Tesla included.

Porsche is the ultimate halo brand of the car industry, even people with no interest in cars knows what a 911 is. With this announcement its pretty clear which direction Porsche thinks cars are going, and soon, 2021/22 is only a few years away!!!

I don't know what other EV owners think, but to me this is fantastic news. I honestly didn't expect Porsche to be so bold/brave. Well done Porsche they deserve massive credit.

I've never wanted to own a Porsche before, but now I want one. I will be putting in a preorder ASAP, might even pop into the local Porsche dealer this weekend, I cannot wait to see what the EV Macan looks like:).

I hope others brands react with equal comittment, am getting tired of seeing news about limited run EVs with 12 months+ waiting times. If your going to comit to EVs do it properly, take you best selling combustion product and make it an EV only one!! Wouldnt it be fab it Nissan made the next Quashqi and Juke EV only??

Porsche Confirms Fully Electric Macan (Porsche's Best Selling Vehicle) Coming In 2022 | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
This one single announcement is going drive EV adoption quicker than anything anyone else can do, Tesla included.
I’m not sure about that exactly. Super expensive brands can all go EV and I’m sorry to say I won’t convert to EV.

I want to and as soon as something the internal size of my Skoda Superb is an EV at say £5,000 premium over the ICE version, I’ll buy one in a heartbeat.

I don’t disagree this sends an important message to other makers but VAG has many models they should be changing to EV only before their high end models. Us lowly masses who are merely comfortably off are unlikely to flock to buy a Porsche that we wouldn’t buy in ICE guise just because it is EV only.

IMHO

I’m not sure about that exactly. Super expensive brands can all go EV and I’m sorry to say I won’t convert to EV.

Remember when flat screen TVs cost £10k+, or even OLED panels from a few years ago costing £5k+.

Like all things tech prices will come down, let the fools (like me) waste their money on early adoption fee and enjoy the new tech when it gets cheaper and more sensible.

Tesla can be dismissed as a wacky leftwing side show run by a mad man living on borrowed time/money, but Porsche committing to EVs in such a way, that cannot be ignored by anyone.

I suspect even Toyota will now be looking at their 'self charging' hybrids in a new light. In the next few years BIK for EVs is due to plummet, and am not sure how Lexus thinks a RX450H/NX300H with their slow to respond drivetrain, 30mpg fuel costs are going to compete with a full electric Macan. 99% of potential customers will wonder if the Lexus is broken when they stamp on the loud pedal after a test drive in an EV Macan.

If your in the market for a new Porsche/Lexus/Range Rover instead of wanting find a reason to buy an EV it'll be hard to find a reason NOT to buy one.

The government and car industry needs to seriously improve the infrastructure of charging points. Also, if the range of these vehicles improves (as I am sure they will) then happy days as I would love one myself but need 450 miles between charges.

This was on the cards as soon as they stopped selling diesel Macans. Who the hell wants a petrol Macan? There's an attraction to top spec petrol Cayenne's and Panamera's, but they are for the minority, the diesels were the bread and butter driving the sales.

Used diesel Macans are selling at a premium now.

It's a mess of VAG's own making, it's just a shame the ripples have affected far more ethical manufacturers as well.

The government and car industry needs to seriously improve the infrastructure of charging points. Also, if the range of these vehicles improves (as I am sure they will) then happy days as I would love one myself but need 450 miles between charges.

I honestly dont see 450 range being realistic. What percentage of the population need that range.

I do 50k miles a year and my 200 mile range Zoe was adequate, my 300 miles range Kona is perfect.

Even on a 500 mile day, I start with 300 and a 1 hour lunch break adds another 200 miles.

In 22k miles since buying it in Sept, I have onlyneeded to charge twice in a day twice. they were 800 mile day, my usage is extreme and a 450 mile range is not needed

As for the charging infrastructure, the motorway network is appalling yes, (Unless using a tesla), but there are so many near and just off motorway rapid chargers now its become a very usable (If you have looked at plugshare in the last few months and seen howe many new rapids are out there you would be amazed)

I really dont think the manufacturers are going to cater for the 0.01% of drivers who insist they need to do 6 hours at 70mph before stopping.

I honestly dont see 450 range being realistic. What percentage of the population need that range.
They don't, it's a form of range anxiety. They don't want the worry of having to recharge on a trip so want all and any eventuality covered so they can stop if they want, but won't need to.

They don't, it's a form of range anxiety. They don't want the worry of having to recharge on a trip so want all and any eventuality covered so they can stop if they want, but won't need to.

Yes I would agree with you there. I was thinking along the lines of something that I do reasonably often; drive 220 miles to our head office, have a meeting for 2 hours then head back. The only chargers I have seen on that commute are on the motorway services for Tesla. I have checked and there are none within 4 miles of work. Maybe a rethink of my route with a stop somewhere is in order.

This was on the cards as soon as they stopped selling diesel Macans. Who the hell wants a petrol Macan? There's an attraction to top spec petrol Cayenne's and Panamera's, but they are for the minority, the diesels were the bread and butter driving the sales.

Used diesel Macans are selling at a premium now.

It's a mess of VAG's own making, it's just a shame the ripples have affected far more ethical manufacturers as well.

Yep and their sales are down 50% this year as a result in most territories, some of them even worse.

I don't think it is just that. The Porsche Macan is also simply too expensive for the segment that it is in. When we were looking to downsize from our GLS AMG, the Macan was on the table. For an SUV the dog doesn't fit in the boot, and the headroom in the back was appalling for our 14/10 year old children let alone adults. And then there was the price. For the cost of a fully specced Mercedes GLC43 AMG or Audi SQ5 you get the low entry level Porsche. It simply was not competitive in a very busy segment.

And yes a full EV version will breath new live in it. But even then the Jaguar is doing really well around where I live. And I must admit I'm rather taken by Polestar as well. I think they'll find it really hard as well, but still will sell on their badge.

I want Nissan to return the Murano to Europe and instead of that V6 give it the full ev treatment :)

I don't think it is just that. The Porsche Macan is also simply too expensive for the segment that it is in. When we were looking to downsize from our GLS AMG, the Macan was on the table. For an SUV the dog doesn't fit in the boot, and the headroom in the back was appalling for our 14/10 year old children let alone adults. And then there was the price. For the cost of a fully specced Mercedes GLC43 AMG or Audi SQ5 you get the low entry level Porsche. It simply was not competitive in a very busy segment.

And yes a full EV version will breath new live in it. But even then the Jaguar is doing really well around where I live. And I must admit I'm rather taken by Polestar as well. I think they'll find it really hard as well, but still will sell on their badge.

I want Nissan to return the Murano to Europe and instead of that V6 give it the full ev treatment :)
It is just that, they were selling an amount of cars before they got rid of diesel, now they are selling half the amount of the same cars because they only sell petrol. The cars and customers are the same, they haven't become bigger/smaller.

I don't think it is just that
As above I think the things you list are valid as issues some people don’t buy the car now, but they won’t affect the number of people who don’t mind them but will buy the EV over the petrol which they wouldn’t buy as they wanted diesel.......

Well I just hope anyone that liked the idea of an electric Macan buys an I-Pace instead.

I was all set on pop into the local Porsche dealer this weekend and than Tesla plays their Joker.

Price reduction across the range on all their cars, and $35k version of the Model 3 ready to be ordered in the US.

Looking at Model S/X price conversions from US to UK, Model 3 is looking like an absolute bargain in the EV world.

I estimate the Long Range RWD version with premium interior, and 320 miles of EPA rated range will come in at £38k, with the bare bones version coming in at £31k and 220 miles EPA range.

Macan will be more refined and have the Porsche badge, but will easily cost £50k+. We might end up with a 2nd Tesla on the driveway after all :).

Well I just hope anyone that liked the idea of an electric Macan buys an I-Pace instead.

There are 65 iPaces on Autotrader already, and most with barely a few Ks on the clock. Asking prices are already below £60k. Whilst other EVs all have long waiting lists and little/no discounts. That says it all really about JLRs first EV.

The iPace is the best JLR product on sale, but its not a good EV. Not much bigger inside than a Kona, and even with a 90kWh battery only achieves the same range as our 6 seater X with a 75kWh battery.

Add to that poor rapid charging implementation and infrastructure, likely JLR reliability, and poor software interface there are much better EVs around. I would take an Audi E Tron over an iPace if spending £70k again on an EV. Against something with a Porsche badge, not a chance, you have to really love JLR to pick one over an electric Macan.

Interesting, but as has previously been discussed the infrastructure is just not there yet.

For example, take a holiday to the Lake District today. None (or very few) hotels/B&Bs have electric hook up points. You'll be fine getting there as motorway service stations will keep you going as they are likely to have them (if one is free), but once there you are pretty much buggered. A couple of days touring, possibly just about manage, but more than that and you will have run out of charge.

For electric cars to become the norm, there is a massive investment needed. I'm not sure this has really been thought through that it can be achieved by 2030.

For example, take a holiday to the Lake District today. None (or very few) hotels/B&Bs have electric hook up points.

Holidays in B&Bs/Cottages are really easy in any EV. As most places have guaranteed parking, all you than need is access to a 3 pin socket. It's slow, but work fine, and given your on holiday usually have no time pressures.

I've charged various EVs in random holiday destinations, most bizarre was next to a barn with some very suspect wiring.

20229494655_d1faf1f4bf_k_d.jpg

Last summer holiday in France the EV was kept fuelled via a travel adaptor and extension cable out of the window. We did 30-50 miles a day to the beaches and back with no issues :).

31322349238_14a036f107_k_d.jpg

44940832432_7b2ba53025_k_d.jpg

Virtually all the owners of holiday cottages/B&Bs we talk to these days know about the demand for EV charging. Given EV owners tend to have spending power am pretty sure the clues up buissness will realise if they had dedicated EV charging they will be able to attract more customers.

Your 100% right about more charging infrastructure been needed though. But not for holiday trips - that's easy peasy. More for people who live in terraced houses/flats with no guaranteed parking let alone charging.

One of the best things about owning EVs is how easy they are to refuel and cheaply - both of these things are simply impossible at the moment without a driveway/dedicated parking space.

I stayed at a tiny hotel in the Dales last year and, whilst there wasn't any specific infrastructure there, what he did have was a small number of caravan hookup points in his car park. A simple cable adaptor and the "emergency" (13a plug) device from the car, and I got a successful overnight top up. This is the thing about EVs that many non-users miss; they can be refuelled just about anywhere, as long as you have the time (as in, an overnight stay) as places with no electricity are very rare. All you (may) need is a long enough cable...... Interesting: tell a (small) place that you drive an EV, and it will need power, and mostly they will bend over to help - rather than lose your business to somewhere else more co-operative; all you have to do is ask.

When we bought our EV in Nov 17, our uncertainty over getting recharged made us retain its diesel predecessor "in case of need" for several months. But we intentionally persisted with exploring how practical and easy keeping it topped up and found it actually far easier than it appears on first sight. And that's with a 120 mile range only. Such that, in late summer 18, we sold the diesel leaving us with just the EV, as it had not been used other than unnecessary journeys just to keep it going.

As to the Lake District - I see rapid chargers at Ambleside, Keswick and Penrith. In the total absence of any alternative then planning an itinerary such that days out to these places (that you might well do anyway) are done at times when charging is needed. And slow chargers in several other public car parks. It's part of the necessary change in mentality that, rather than driving until dry and only then filling up (as you would with an ICE) you seek out and take as many opportunities to top up while meandering. So you try to use these car parks (for example) and plug in as you do, rather than parking elsewhere and thereby leaving it until you need more.

Add to that poor rapid charging implementation and infrastructure,
How is the charging infrastructure better for an Audi and a Porsche over a Jaguar? :confused:

There are 65 iPaces on Autotrader already, and most with barely a few Ks on the clock. Asking prices are already below £60k. Whilst other EVs all have long waiting lists and little/no discounts. That says it all really about JLRs first EV.

This seems a normal JLR thing, I've looked for Discovery Sports before and there's always loads of nearly new low mileage models, they can't all be customer cars surely. Possibly ex managers cars? There's a fairly new JLR dealer near me and it's full of the same, where have they come from?

Yes, you are right on cottages, but hotels unless a major chain are likely to not have any facilities.

When we book holiday accommodation now we only go where we can charge, either with 3 pin or some have on site 7KW posts.

Very simply really, as more people get EVs hotel chains that can provide destination charging with get more bussiness. To stay competitive I suspect most hotels will soon install chargers as demand goes up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom