Porridge 2017

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I saw the clip as well and did not think that good but we will see.

It's part of the celebrating 60 years of BBC comedy, I think there is also an episode of Goodnight Sweetheart, both didn't look great if i'm honest but lets see what happens.

Still Open All Hours is ok, not as good as Open All Hours but it kept the original cast so was going to be better than a complete recast.

It's part of the celebrating 60 years of BBC comedy, I think there is also an episode of Goodnight Sweetheart, both didn't look great if i'm honest but lets see what happens.

Still Open All Hours is ok, not as good as Open All Hours but it kept the original cast so was going to be better than a complete recast.

Yes there's also Till Death Do Us Part and Are You Being Served. I'm afraid Still Open was a total failure for me and these reboot/remakes might be the same. I'll give them all a go though.

Bri

Porridge ought to work. But from what I've seen so far, this new Fletch, grandson of the old Fletch, is more of a fool. The old Fletch was smart. He wasn't a victim of the system, he was always one step ahead. I wonder if Genial Harry Grout is in the reboot.

Last edited:
surely we're about to hear Goodnight Sweetheart is being recommissioned?

I think I'd rather see that one come back. It'd be really great to see at least one more Likely Lads episode. There'no chance that James Bolem would return though.

Bri

Wow, what sheer stupidity! :suicide:
Sadly the BBC have passed on Goodnight Sweetheart, whilst acknowledging its excellence. Gary will have to find another TV channel.

They later confirmed negotiations are ongoing (with other channels), so ITV would be fools not to snap it up, seeing as they already have Birds of a Feather and a long history together (Harvey Moon, New Statesman)

Wow, what sheer stupidity! :suicide:

They later confirmed negotiations are ongoing (with other channels), so ITV would be fools not to snap it up, seeing as they already have Birds of a Feather and a long history together (Harvey Moon, New Statesman)

Birds Of A Feather being another show that was successful on BBC.

Bri

^^^ I never much cared for BoaF
- ITV's the right home for it now :)

The New Statesman could easily have been a BBC show, and they did end up producing this one-off special, A B'Stard Exposed, for the BBC a couple of years after the series ended ...

I think I'd rather see that one come back. It'd be really great to see at least one more Likely Lads episode. There'no chance that James Bolem would return though.

Bri

I don't think James Bolam ever considered himself a comic actor. But I think this is why so many older BBC comedies are so successful. They very rarely used comedians in their comedies. Steptoe, Only Fools and Horses, all Carla Lane comedies, Porridge, the Likely Lads. They were all serious actors. And that's why they work so well.

Another thing worth noting is that Bolam doesn't get on at all well with Rodney Bewes, so the story goes. So as you say, they won't get Bolam to do it. Plus, they're not lads any more ;)

I don't think James Bolam ever considered himself a comic actor. But I think this is why so many older BBC comedies are so successful. They very rarely used comedians in their comedies. Steptoe, Only Fools and Horses, all Carla Lane comedies, Porridge, the Likely Lads. They were all serious actors. And that's why they work so well.

Another thing worth noting is that Bolam doesn't get on at all well with Rodney Bewes, so the story goes. So as you say, they won't get Bolam to do it. Plus, they're not lads any more ;)

As you say "serious" actors often excel in comedies. Bolam often played in comedies and rarely better than The Likely Lads. A new episode/series would be kind of a Whatever Happened To The Older Likely Lads In Whatever Happenened To The Likely Lads. A catchy title indeed. I'm sure you'll agree.

:D
Bri

Last edited:
Caught Bolam in a repeat viewing of John Schlesinger's 'A Kind Of Loving' (Alan Bates). He was excellent, as were the rest of the cast. A likely lad before getting that part a few years later.

Caught Bolam in a repeat viewing of John Schlesinger's 'A Kind Of Loving' (Alan Bates). He was excellent, as were the rest of the cast. A likely lad before getting that part a few years later.

I've just had a look at his IMDb page. He's in the new Cold Feet so it's nice to seehe's still working.

Bri

Tickets to recordings (Thu 16 February - Thu 23 March, The Studios, MediaCityUK, Salford) ...
Porridge is a modern reworking of the classic prison sitcom of the 1970s, written by the show’s original creators, the legendary Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (also creators of The Likeley Lads and Auf Wiedersehen Pet). The show was rebooted as a one off for the BBC’s Sitcom Season in Summer 2016, but after a fantastic audience response was commissioned for a new series for 2017.

Porridge stars Kevin Bishop as Nigel Norman Fletcher, grandson of Ronnie Barker’s iconic character Norman Stanley Fletcher. Nigel – Fletch to his friends – has wound up in Wakeley Prison after a career of cyber hacking caught up with him. Now, like his grandfather before him, he has to try and make the best of his situation and stay out of trouble – which proves easier said than done.

Tickets will be allocated by random draw.

You can register at any time until 10pm on Thursday 26 January.

You can apply for a maximum of two tickets per recording and should you be successful in the random draw you will only receive tickets for one recording in the series.

Good luck!

Admission to these recordings is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that as not everyone who asks for tickets uses them, to make sure we have a full house we send out more tickets than there are places. We do our best to get the numbers right, but unfortunately we occasionally have to disappoint people so please arrive early.

All information is correct at time of publication.

@brian s ... another show you might want to see revived (tweet from that twit of him delivering a bullshit complaint to the BBC, now a meme)

DKKiMq3X0AAUckY.jpg

:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom