Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - DVD-Audio

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
I have followed this band for a while and found out on their website that they were releasing their most recent album on dual-disc DVD-Audio format. Naturally, I filled my pants with excitement.

However....the only place I would find it pre-order was amazon.co.uk, so I held fire to see if play.com (who are fast - as soon as it's in stock it's on it's way to you, not like another e-tailer who I won't mention (splashdvd)).....anyway....back to the point.......:devil:

.....I waited and waited and FINALLY play.com have it 11.99 pre-order. I HIGHLY recommend this album if you are into good rock music, and it's produced I believe by Elliot Scheiner who is the surround-sound genius!

So if you like Pink Floyd, a bit of Dream Theater, and a bloody good surround-sound mix - then buy this DVD-Audio disc!!

P.S. Rumour has it that it might be a dual-disc - DVD-audio on one side, cd on the other. Not entirely sure....

Rock on. :smashin:

karkus30

Banned
As you seem to be a bit of a proggy, ever looked at a band called Spocks beard ? Beatles/Gentle Giant sort of thing. Might be worth a whirl.

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
I'll have a look...thanks for the suggestion...

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Porcupine Trees official website reports that the release of the DVD-Audio has been delayed

Grrrr......:mad:

PaulBoy

Floodedstatue ... spotted a thread on this over on dvdforums & apparently a number of US etailers are giving the following ...
"Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, March 09, 2004" ... finger crossed but as you know with DVD-A dont hold your breath (Tubular Bells 2003!)
Paul ;)

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
If it turns into a Tubular Bells situation, I can probably expect to see it by August :rolleyes:

karkus30

Banned
Floodedstatue, I noticed your recommendation for Opeth - Damnation in another thread, seems they are connected to Porcupine Tree, but I suppose you knew that already.

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Yeah I did know that, but well spotted. I think PT's lead singer produced the album. Maybe he's the one who convinced them to stop shouting for a while and start playing music that people can understand - let alone listen to...?? :)

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
IN STOCK at play.com - you beauty :smashin:

PaulBoy

Floodedstatue ... thanks for the heads up on this one - got my disc yesterday from Play & WOW! ... superb disc - great selection of audio mixes (DVD-A DD5.1 DTS PCM) by Elliot Scheiner no less - P/Tree appear to have asked for a quality product to bear their name & have included THREE extra tracks & THREE videos ... I'm off for another blast!
Paul ;)

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Well, I did warn you it was gonna be good :lesson:

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Detailed review on highfidelityreview.com. Read it, then buy it!

brendonw

Originally posted by karkus30
Floodedstatue, I noticed your recommendation for Opeth - Damnation in another thread, seems they are connected to Porcupine Tree, but I suppose you knew that already.
Also connected to Marillion - another 'prog' band.....?

bowenjones

First, I'd like to thank Floodstatue for the heads-up :smashin:
I had never heared of this group untill I read his thread.
As you can probably gather, I'm not really into today's rock
scene and, to be honest, my only taste of modern day rock
bands is what I hear on the radio - which isn't much.
I used to love Pink Floyd when I was younger but, over the years, I gradually sort of drifted away from music altogether.
Nowadays though, I seem to have a bit more spare time on my hands and have started listening to music much more often.
I mainly listen to my old album collection which consists of
Floyd, early Genisis stuff, Queen and such like.
Since I've got bitten by the Home Cinema lark, I've also discovered how good multi-channel music can be. My first
dvd-audio purchase was Toy Matinee which, if you haven't heared it, is a great album imo. I then started buying multi-channel discs of albums that I already had - The Eagles, Queen,
Fleetwood Mac, Tubular Bells amongst others but, untill now, I
hadn't experienced so-called modern prog-rock.
Ignoring the surround mix for a moment, In Absentia is a superb
album - both in the quality of the music and the lyrics. I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed a "new" rock album this much since
I don't know when. Every song sounded different and the production reminded me of some of Pink Floyds stuff but not to
the point where I was drawing critical comparisons. I really, really
enjoyed this. I had forgotten how immersive music can be.
As for the multi-channel mix, this is superb. I'd go as far as to say
that it's the best surround mix I've heared so far. It's been said
already, but Elliot Scheiner IS a genious when it comes to doing
mixes. This is a very aggresive mix with the rear channels in
constant use but it is in no way gimmicky. There are times when the whole room is filled with music and you feel as if you are
right in the center of it. I dare anyone to listen to this and say
that surround music doesn't work.
I'm now on the look out for some more of the same - which is
good quality rock music where the lead singer doesn't shout or
scream ;) :D

PaulBoy

Reading the "Bio" on the DVD-A I see PT cite influences such as The Beatles ; Pink Floyd & Rush - three of my favourite bands - no wonder they sound so good
I'm breaking in a new sub & In Absentia sounds even better ...
Paul ;)

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
The band should be paying us for all this good press....:zonked:

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Porcupine Tree is a band comprising 4 members.

Steven Wilson is the main song-writing/composing inspiration, but the other members of the band (except for the drummer who has just replaced the long-term drummer recently) have been with the band since they started around about 1990.

The full line-up is:

Steven Wilson (Vocals / Guitar)
Richard Barbieri (Keyboards)
Gavin Harrison (Drums)
Collin Edwin (Bass)

marillion

Discover a Lost Art - Play Marbles, May 2004
Marillion: Marbles
Release Date: 3rd May 2004
Catalogue Number: Intact INTACTCD1
As the many thousands of fans who regularly flock to see the band live or buy their records are all too aware, there really is no other band like Marillion. Refusing to compromise their music by bowing to marketing pressures, focus groups or record labels seeking a chart-busting single, Marillion have pressed on to create their own unmistakable and unique music whilst amassing a huge "underground" following around the world.
If you haven't heard them before, listen up...Whatever you're expecting, this band just keeps growing and changing.
Their new CD 'Marbles' is a creative milestone of atmospheric and stirring songs. Intense, deep-seated and musically multilateral - you'll either "get it" or you won't. The choice is yours.
'There are a million bands who kick ass, but just a few, like Marillion, who really move people' - Kerrang
'Highly dramatic, emotional, dynamic stuff' - The Guardian
'Marillion have set the pace by which others follow' - MusicTank
'The best-kept secret in the music industry' - Sound on Sound
'Wonderful, idiosyncratic and dramatic rock band' - Classic Rock
TRACKLISTING:
1. The Invisible Man
2. Marbles I
3. You're Gone
4. Angelina
5. Marbles II
6 . Don't Hurt Yourself
7 . Fantastic Place
8. Marbles III
9 . Drilling Holes
10 . Marbles IV
11 . Neverland
12. Bonus Track: You're Gone (Single Mix)

Marillion are on tour in Europe from May to July 2004 - for full details go to
www.marillion.com/tour

bowenjones

Originally posted by marillion
Discover a Lost Art - Play Marbles, May 2004
Marillion: Marbles
Release Date: 3rd May 2004
Catalogue Number: Intact INTACTCD1
As the many thousands of fans who regularly flock to see the band live or buy their records are all too aware, there really is no other band like Marillion. Refusing to compromise their music by bowing to marketing pressures, focus groups or record labels seeking a chart-busting single, Marillion have pressed on to create their own unmistakable and unique music whilst amassing a huge "underground" following around the world.
If you haven't heard them before, listen up...Whatever you're expecting, this band just keeps growing and changing.
Their new CD 'Marbles' is a creative milestone of atmospheric and stirring songs. Intense, deep-seated and musically multilateral - you'll either "get it" or you won't. The choice is yours.
'There are a million bands who kick ass, but just a few, like Marillion, who really move people' - Kerrang
'Highly dramatic, emotional, dynamic stuff' - The Guardian
'Marillion have set the pace by which others follow' - MusicTank
'The best-kept secret in the music industry' - Sound on Sound
'Wonderful, idiosyncratic and dramatic rock band' - Classic Rock
TRACKLISTING:
1. The Invisible Man
2. Marbles I
3. You're Gone
4. Angelina
5. Marbles II
6 . Don't Hurt Yourself
7 . Fantastic Place
8. Marbles III
9 . Drilling Holes
10 . Marbles IV
11 . Neverland
12. Bonus Track: You're Gone (Single Mix)

Marillion are on tour in Europe from May to July 2004 - for full details go to
www.marillion.com/tour
Are you just a fan or a member of their PR team?;)
I can't say that I've heared any of Marillion's recent music
but Kayleigh brings back such fond memories for me.
I hadn't long started courting my wife when this was released
and, although we didn't choose it as our main wedding song, we made sure that the DJ played it during the night.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett