1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pops and delays with HK DPR2005

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Evil Ed, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Does anyone on here own or played with a Harman Kardon DPR2005?

I received mine towards the end of October from Konextions (www.konextions.co.uk - excellent service) and noticed that when switching sources there would be a slight delay, maybe a few milliseconds, and then a subdued popping sound before the sounds would actually start playing out of my speakers. This happened on all inputs which are Sky, DVD and my Macintosh computer.

However, the amp had to go back as my front left channel on the amp didn't work out of the box... after Harman buggering about for the best part of a month I finally got a new DPR2005 sent out to me but, alas, I still have the problem of the popping and delays.

On the Sky the delay and pop occurs when changing channels... on DVD it is only noticable when changing DVD menu screens or starting a new chapter, and is particularly apparent on my Dizzee Rascal DVD (when I select a track to play it misses out the first word or note of the track)... when playing music on my Mac thru the amp the delay is very noticable as it misses the first few notes or words... VERY ANNOYING

All connections are digital. Someone said to me it might be worth getting analogue cables and hooking them up in addition to my coxial and optical cables but I refuse to believe that a 1300 quid amp can't manage digital inputs correctly... my old Sony STR-DB830 back in '99 could handle a digital input without a delay or pop.

Anyone got any ideas?? Sorry for the rant

-Ed

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Ed,
    I had exactly the same problem with a Linn Unidisk. I wanted to use an external DAC with it and just couldn't get rid of the speaker popping and the skipping of the first second or so of the CD. Very Annoying.
    In the end (After about 3 weeks) I gave up. Changing cables etc made no difference. Change of equipment was the only way.:thumbsdow

3. Evil Ed

Evil Ed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Knightshade... I think I might have to take your advice on that one, I've just been speaking to Harman's product support.

After explaining the problems I'd been having with the amp, the nice chap in support informed that it is, unfortunately, a 'feature' of the amp!! Apparently this is due to the amp being <b>digital</b>, and any other digital amp would do the same, so I'm told. The ports are made inactive when a digital source is not being played in order to keep the amp cool.

I'm shocked, really, that an amp at this price-point has this 'feature'. They assured me that an update will be made available to dealers within the next 6 months that may address this issue, but I don't think I can hang on that long to find out... anyone fancy buying a DPR2005 and DVD31 off me? Boxed as new, only 1 week old! :thumbsup:

-Ed