1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

popping subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by glynndenniss, Oct 6, 2002.

1. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP.....

Every time a press a command button on the dvd player (sony-336)..(enter or next chapter, search etc) and on the reciever (pioneer vsx-510) i get a awful popping noise through the subwoofer and also i get a low rumbling noise through the sub whilst watching dvd that sounds so bad i have to turn the sub of....I no its not the sub at fault as i have just got a paradigm today and the fault is still the same as with my old sub...

the sub is connected to my amp via a single phono - phono cable and i have also tried connecting with puresonic phono to phono cable.....

Please can you help me......

p.s.. i no i need a better reciever but the mrs wont let me :(

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you got the sub turned up too loud. If you can hear it during normal music or film, it's too loud.

You should be able to hear the lower notes but not the sub itself.

3. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the annoying sound which i can hear through the sub whilst watching a film is there 90% of the time..When i play a dvd back i might hear it the first time in one scene, but if i watch the same scene again it may have gone....and thats without changing the volume....i have a funny felling its the reciever....

I should have said as well that when i connect the sub to the DVD player i get no silly noises ( but i dont like the sound from that source, it doesn't sound as good as the reciever )

4. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    low rumbling - is more than likely an earth loop, I have on between my KEF PSW2000 and my 1070 amp, which will be getting an earth link - attached to the chasis to stop it.......

5. glynndenniss

glynndenniss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i do that

6. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the back of my 1070 there is an earthing point, there should be one on the back of your receiver to, connect this ia a flying lead to ground (probably the earth on the electrical circuit if you can)

I think what happens is that because the receiver is not grounded, and the subwoofer is then the reciever uses the sub as a ground and hence you get mains hum when the phono lead is plugged into the sub, try turning the sub off, dissconecting the lead, and then turning it on (the hum should not be present when the cable is disconnected.)