1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

popping speakers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GaryRees, Jul 11, 2003.

1. GaryRees

GaryRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just built my HCPC and I'm still only using the onboard sound on my asus A7N8X ( can't decide what soundcard to get )

What's bothering me is that when I switch off the PC I get a loud pop out of my speakers and my sub ... which ain't doing them any good.

I'm using the line out from my motherboard straight into a ROTEL 1075 5 channel power amp driving Monitor Audio speakers and also a REL Strata. I know I could switch the amp and sub off first but I was hoping to have the whole system automated using the 12 volt trigger on the ROTEL enabling me to tuck the amp and sub out of site ...... more wife friendly.

Has anybody come across this problem before? And, is it likely to be the same problem with a good quality soundcard?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also what's the best soundcard for home cinema?

2. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a similar problem with my Meridian actives fed from a M-Audio revo card. I'm using X10 modules to switch the speakers on and off with the pc using girder. The more expensive M-Audio cards have switched outputs to prevent this problem, check the website for more info. I'm only using this as a short term fix until I can afford an AV processor. The big problem for me is the lack of dolby prologic decoding for live feeds into the sound card.

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Gary, is a digital connection an option? I solved ground hum problems by going digital in the past, and your problem may be similar. But I now get strange pops and squeaks at times with S/PDIF, which are a bit worrying too.

4. GaryRees

GaryRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S/PDIF isn't an option - I've just sold my A/V processor in favour of getting a one-box solution. I think I'm going to have to look at some top quality soundcards from M-Audio or RME. I'm just a bit reluctant to shell out loads of dosh at the moment because I'm sure that before long some of the big names are going to produce an audiophile quality home cinema soundcard with stuff like 192khz 24 bit DACS, 7.1 and a proper dedicated software suite with stuff like speaker size, distance, room equalisation and support for DVD Audio.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I reckon it wont be long.