Popcornhour A400

next010

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Syabas have revealed their latest box the PCH-A400.

The important bits;
  • Sigma 8911 chip
    VXP video image quality processor
    3D BD video, HDMI 1.4
    All the usual media types supported
    DVD menus, BD Lite menus (full BD menus = Cinavia)
    iPad remote that interfaces with jukebox, Android version promised later.
    Passive cooling with Silverstone case
    3.5" HDD dock 3TB drives supported
    USB 3, Gigabit ethernet

€289 euros, if your after best image quality possible then this might be a contender along side any Dune's using the 8910/8911 with VXP.

Pictures & Videos

Pressphoto.jpg

popcorn_sc.jpg

popcorn2_sc.jpg

1372702884_801465295_2.jpg

2028024812_584711036_7.jpg

349702353_2062654461_8.jpg

3637671_323705046_9.jpg

573262911_684319576_15.jpg

It does look like an awesome piece of kit apart from the price, especially when it rumoured to be selling for $249, then it hardly seems fair to us in the EU / UK.

I'm waiting for a couple of reviews to pick between this the Mede8r 1000 and one of the new Dune players, though they don't seem to be appearing until at least November.

It does look like an awesome piece of kit apart from the price, especially when it rumoured to be selling for $249, then it hardly seems fair to us in the EU / UK.

I'm waiting for a couple of reviews to pick between this the Mede8r 1000 and one of the new Dune players, though they don't seem to be appearing until at least November.

The price is the same for any country you cant blame them for your country adding VAT and other taxes. It just happens the US does not have to pay high taxes on it.

Is there an actual release date for this? I'm in the US in 2 weeks so the timing could b perfects!

I'm thinking of buying this one over the Dune HD Max...

I know that there is not a C-400 but what are the usual differences between the A and C versions?

Thanks

I thought the only difference was bluray drive and BR menu

What about region locked? Are they both region locked?

There were a few difference between the A & C series:

C Series has:
BD license (BD Menus).
Optical drive/3.5"HDD bay
2 internal SATA Connectors
RF remote (C200) IR & RF Remote (C300), IR only (A series)
More external USB ports plus an internal one.
LCD/LED screen on front

As to region locking, its irrelevant really as there is no optical drive option. So, if all your media is file based (single file, folder structure or ISO) then surely you remove the region with your ripping software whilst ripping?

However, having said that, there are region changing options & software available for all current PCH's so I would expect this model to be no different.

So I think they will not release a C400 because of Cinavia?

Correct, there is no real point in releasing one, Syabas have confirmed 'No C-400 planned'

As soon as its available to order, I'm ordering

:D

On another forum someone said that because this has one hdmi 1.4 out, if you have a hdmi 1.3 amp you can't get 3D and HD Audio.

Not sure if this is right or not, just passing on.

Kudos

The 3d iso playback is a big plus for me! Does anyone know what the TV interface looks like (I.e when browsing with the physical remote)

The iPad interface looks great with all the artwork and movie info, is the tv interface equally as nice?

hi kudos2
On another forum someone said that because this has one hdmi 1.4 out, if you have a hdmi 1.3 amp you can't get 3D and HD Audio.
i would say that is correct as a amp with hdmi 1.3 is not cable of sending 3d and hd sound at the same time not enough bandwith ,you will need a 3d capable amp.

The 3d iso playback is a big plus for me! Does anyone know what the TV interface looks like (I.e when browsing with the physical remote)

The iPad interface looks great with all the artwork and movie info, is the tv interface equally as nice?

Same UI as the A-300

The price is the same for any country you cant blame them for your country adding VAT and other taxes. It just happens the US does not have to pay high taxes on it.

However $249 is approx £170 , or £210 incl vat

To pay an additional 40% is pretty extreme

Are there any alternatives that offer 3d iso playback and a nice interface?
Dune will have their 3D models released not too long after PCH - hopefully. Although there is no video jukebox currently built into their firmware there are plenty of easy to use PC & Mac programs that add this to the UI, and a built in jukebox has been promised so could be added at any time.
IFA Day 2 – Dune HD 3D models « my-HTPC

Mark.

4TB works for some 200 & 300 users.

"As a note: I also did the above with a 4TB Seagate drive. What I did was go to Best Buy and purchased a 4TB Seagate External drive for $179 (on sale) ... then took the drive out of it's case and installed it in the A300 .... 3.8TB of media bliss!!!"
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=56861&highlight=4tb

Guess 4TB should ok on the A-400

Dune will have their 3D models released not too long after PCH - hopefully. Although there is no video jukebox currently built into their firmware there are plenty of easy to use PC & Mac programs that add this to the UI, and a built in jukebox has been promised so could be added at any time.
IFA Day 2 – Dune HD 3D models « my-HTPC

Mark.

There are some errors on that link. The 867X processor does not support MVC, only SBS and TB 3D - which the current PCH & Dunes already support. So any player based on that chip family will not support full res 3D video.

See the chip specs here: http://www.sigmadesigns.com/uploads/documents/selection_guide.pdf

The other point is that HDI will not be releasing a 891X based player any time soon as Syabas have an exclusivity deal with Sigma until sometime into next year (exact date I do not know).

4TB works for some 200 & 300 users.

"As a note: I also did the above with a 4TB Seagate drive. What I did was go to Best Buy and purchased a 4TB Seagate External drive for $179 (on sale) ... then took the drive out of it's case and installed it in the A300 .... 3.8TB of media bliss!!!"
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=56861&highlight=4tb

Guess 4TB should ok on the A-400

Sounds promising, that would do it for me, I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom