Popcorn Hour or XBMC

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by lampard1983, Feb 28, 2013.

1. lampard1983

lampard1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Hello you lovely people, just sold my popcorn hour c-200 and was going to buy either the a-400 or build a htpc with xbmc, I've always had popcorn hours and have had no problems but I've started using xbmc on my iPhone and iPad and am loving the addons

What's your opinion on best way forward, also if you say htpc with xbmc can you give some ideas on spec please, budget about £300

2. halfelite

halfelite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    300 budget will be a little hard goal to reach. I just built a prety decent machine I use as both a desktop and htpc. At my time of building I got most of the parts on sale so finale price wa around 350$ for me

hec Black 0.7mm Thickness SECC (Japanese Steel Metal) ITX ITX200B Mini ITX Media Center / HTPC Case $49.99
    Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor $134.99
    Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C9B1RK2/8X 32.99$
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit 85.79$
    ASUS P8H77-I LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard 107.00$

it has played everything i throw it using using mpc-hc with madvr

3. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Get a acre revo use openelc with Xbmc sub £200

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,392
    Aren't HTPCs still a bitch to maintain though? Or have they come on a long way?

5. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Come along way. ESP in last 18 months.

Revos and pi's with Xbmc are fantastic. And scalable solutions.

6. cram

cram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    They have improved but still something for the enthusiast rather than the family IMHO

7. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Not sure about this. A pi or revo with openelc Xbmc works perfectly for the whole family like a dedicated box. With the benefit of a community behind it.

8. halfelite

halfelite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    You are also picking solutions that dont offer HD audio, Last i checked the PI wont/cant but i think the REVO supports it. The biggest downfall to XBMC is multi units, it takes setting up mysql to run a db to keep all the boxes in sync for watched and things like that. If you want basic playback where each box does not care about the other then its a decent solution. The next major downfall is the PQ of xbmc is not very good, so instead of using the built in player its better to go external with MPC-HC and madvr to get better quality. but once you do things like this you lose out on button control matching throughout the player and taking more time to controller map.

While the have made advancements they are still a bit away from simple plug and play solutions even more so in multi unit environment

9. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Your points are valid, but it depends on what the end user wants. No mention of HD audio etc.

A revo HTPC, is all in one cheap out the box solution. Which you can install XBMC or Plex etc, a good intro to HTPC. If he does not want HD Audio a Pi will do, if he does a Revo, then if he wants to go to the next step a dedicated unit, its all about unit cost and spec. If he has £500 and had the experience or want I would always go with a custom build.

I have found that XBMC with multi devices is interesting to say the least.