popcorn hour biggest pile of pants

swellpower

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a small question why wont my nice pch110 with all its metal and nice ui play certain avi files from my pc that a cheap hisenses 800 will play them fine, before you say that rules out the file and encoding also the network streaming as the pch will stream other Blueray movies which are of a larger size, i can solve the problem by running the file through handbrake but why should i have too, i feeling scrapping the pch and buying another cheap hisense player now badged as v-bridge also forgot to say this player is £50.00 compared to what they charge for the pch the files were that celebrity football tornament and the film the runaways try playing them and fast forwarding them

Probably memory management - depending on how something is encoded it may take larger buffers to managed the decoding. This is always a tradeoff with other features.
The PCh has a lot of built in audio decoders (part of the price is in license fees) so I guess that's the flip side.
I can't be sure but suspect the Hisense uses a different chip, probably Realtek.

Yeah the hisense uses the realtek chipset, the point im trying to get across is that the popcorn cost over three times the amount and this is just a avi file not blueray.i also the same problem if i transfer it onto the h/d thats inside the popcorn this happens on a few avi files that even play on my lg dvd player with usb dvix support

An AVI is a container, not a format/specific codec. Every media player with have problems with some codecs as they do not support them. The issue lays with what encoding is used in the AVI's that your PCH won't play? I have only had 2 AVIs that won't play on my C-200 but this was not due to the codec it was down to bad muxing. I re-muxed using virtualdub ( minute job) and they both played fine afterwards.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that he's disapointed with the PCH lacking decoders that the cheaper Realtek players obviously ship with; especially with the higher price the PCH commands.

Must admit i'm surprised to hear this as i thought the PCH was as rich in decoders as the Realtek boxes. Saying that though i'm yet to find a SINGLE file that hasn't played on my realtek based AC Ryan PlayOnHD..

The point I was trying to make is that NO player will play every file you throw at it and to call a player 'pile of pants' because you have some files it will not play is a bit excessive. I understand he is disappointed that his cheaper play will play files that the PCH won't. I was trying to point out that it may be a badly encoded file, it may not. It may be bad muxing, it may not. Unless more information we can't make a judgement.

I could say 'the medi8tor' is a pile of pants as it does not play HD audio where the A200 can. They are very similar in price so would you say the Medi8or is a pile of pants even though it is highly regarded as a player and cannot play the same as other players?

Lets get some perspective here....

Lets get some perspective here....
+1 on that :cool:

It is also worth remembering that the A-110 is now a reasonably old player and therefore the codec for the files that wont play could well be newer than the actual player and due to licensing can't/wont be added to the firmware - maybe :confused:

Mark.

No what im trying to say is that a cheap hisense 800 play will play it as well as a lg dvd player with a usb support to play dvix( which i dont believe has the reatek chipset), two different machines both cheap play fine my pch splutters like a drowning rat, just a update my old xbox with media player installed plays fine as well. Seems to me the only player that wont play these files without having to be encoded again (whats the point of buying this when you have to encode files again to play) is the is the pch

For you I would sell the PCH and buy the hisense/v-bridge.

The PCH not playing these files (which I presume are downloaded) has obviously upset you quite a bit.

We cannot begin to help when we have no knowledge of the files - how about you run them through MediaInfo and give us some specs? We could then try and recreate the files and possibly the problem.

Personally the PCH has played everything I've tried but then I'm not a big downloader, so normally know how my files are made.

In the interests of balance, I would just like to add that I've checked in my fiancees underwear drawer and her pile of pants is actually pretty nice.

Have you got the latest firmware on the Popcorn?

Yes latest firmware on it but always seem to get problems with avi films especially if they are over 800meg,they will sometimes play but if you visual search then press play the pic freezes, after about a minute you get sound but still a frozen pic,you get this same effect when you pause the film.
Just a update tried the films that i had problems with on a A.C Ryan playon mini and they played flawlessly so thats 4 different machines that work ok, its not a problem with the files its the PCH if you check on another forum many other people are experiencing the same sort of problem.
Think i will get either the playon or the playon mini for the wireless feature as well .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom