Popcorn Hour A-410

This is what I've got. How do I check the access of the PCH by the Synology ?

OK, you are going to the right place now. You see the entry where it says 'DISKSTATION' and the icon is a 'monitor'? That is to access the machine. At the top it says network browser/workgroup - which is indicating you are connecting via samba shares.

Samba (Windows Networking) needs a user name and password to connect. That is what the PCH is asking you for, your user and password to use to connect to the Diskstation via Samba. To test, type in your Diskstation Admin user & password and it should let you in and show you the shared folders on your diskstation.

The simple fact that you can see 'Diskstation' means you do not have the network drop issue.

I've been to that login screen several times and logged in with the user and password for the Synology but it won't let me in.

OK, the only other thing to try is to enable the guest account on the synology first. There was a quirk on pch/synology connections via samba that caused then to not work if the guest account is turned off.

Look at control panel->users->guest on the synology and if it says disabled, right click, edit and uncheck 'disable account'.

try logging in again on the PCH.

Your other option would be to connect via NFS which doesn't need a password.

Where it says 'WORKGROUP' & 'NFS_SERVERS', select NFS_SERVERS, you should see your diskstation in there too if the DS has NFS enabled.

My shares just came back, I went back to profile 6 and literally in a second everything was back to normal.

No way of saying they will stay as I've used profile 6 before and it's still went belly up.

@ grimpy: are you on the latest firmware? After the firmware update did you do a factory reset? This seems to clear 99% of issues like this. The network drop issue was fixed in the firmware last year.

Also, I highly recommend setting a fixed IP for your PCH in your router. That will stop your router periodically dropping the IP and renewing it - which the PCH does not always like.

Guest was switched off, so I've switched it on and checked all permissions, tried to log back in and still got the same result. Not allowing me in.
I'm just rebooting the Synology and then I'll try again.

@ grimpy: are you on the latest firmware? After the firmware update did you do a factory reset? This seems to clear 99% of issues like this. The network drop issue was fixed in the firmware last year.

Also, I highly recommend setting a fixed IP for your PCH in your router. That will stop your router periodically dropping the IP and renewing it - which the PCH does not always like.

Only got my A410 5 weeks back and on the firmware screen it says there is no update, this is the version I'm using:

05-04-131018-25-POP-425-093

I've done the fixed ip's for all my devices.

I see that is the latest for the 410, the 400 had a new release last week. The 410 FW is rather old though 18th oct last year. I suspect a new firmware is imminent.

I still can't blummin get access to the Synology via the PCH.

Does the PCH have some sort of reset somewhere ?

EDIT: Got it.

I see that is the latest for the 410, the 400 had a new release last week. The 410 FW is rather old though 18th oct last year. I suspect a new firmware is imminent.

Hopefully, thanks for helping.

hi,

not sure if you have seen this guide.

HTML:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Network_Synology_NAS_setup

i.e path "Volume1/video"

you guys using NFS TCP or NFS protocol?

IP/hostname?

Share Folder?

Share Name?

Thanks

I think you can browser the network but also add it manually from what i remember.

Thanks

This is so not funny anymore. The WORKGROUP is not even showing in the Network Browser now.

I was really hoping to be doing some ripping today and then getting to grips with NMJ, fat chance of that now.

Have you tried going through NFS?

On SMB did you make sure the character case is correct?

If all else fails you can manually add shares in the setup which should force them to be mounted.

NFS gives me an IP address, I click that and then get an error.

Character case was ok when trying to log into the Synology via the PCH.

I'm not even getting the option to try to login now. Accessing the Synology via my Laptop is fine, just the blummin PCH.

And you are logging in via the laptop with the same user name you tried on the PCH? When you get in on the laptop do you see any folders?

Yeah logging in with same user and pass.

On the Laptop: File Station > Video, then I can see the two rips that I've done and the nmj database that has somehow snuck in there.

I've just swapped over two ethernet cables and it's all come back, very odd.

I had the Synology plugged straight into my router and my Laptop via a Gig switch, I just literally swapped them over. Synology is now plugged into the same Gig switch as the PCH, which is plugged into the router.

Now, how the blummin eck do I sort my movies into the lovely looking video wall :D

When I access DISKSTATION, I can see the Music, Photo and Video folders on the Synology. I click Video and I can see the rips that I have put in there.

Where do I go from here ?

Yeah, you are getting very confused/mixed up with access to your synology. with you mentioning 'FileStation' on the laptop connection I know you are connecting via the web interface - which is not the same as how the PCH is connecting. To connect with your laptop in the same way (assuming it is a windows PC) you should go to \\diskstation in Windows explorer.

OK, for the NMJ, first you should add that folder as a defined share on the PCH. Highlight the 'Video' folder and you should see on the bottom right a yellow marker and it says 'Add Share'. Press the yellow button on your remote.

From there you can click left on the remote and a menu will pop up on the left. Select NMJ Manager and select one of the scan options. It should create your jukebox.

When done you can go into it.

If I go to DISKSTATION > Video, I don't see a yellow marker.

Also, do I leave the movie names exactly as MKV has defined them ?

Credit to you Rom for your patience and sticking with me :thumbsup:

don't enter the Video folder, enter Diskstation and just highlight the Video folder, you should see something like in my cap 4, yellow mark on bottom right?

The name, for good scanning results, should be exactly like it shows on IMDB/TheMovieDB. EG for the last star trek movie:

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).mkv

Attachments

• cap4.jpg
    cap4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 192
mmm, no yellow marker.

Should I change the movie/file name in the Synology ?

No yellow marker as you are back to accessing the share on the media server side of the Synology. Notice the icon is 3 horizontal bars? You can't map a share onto a media server. You want to go into network browser. Notice at the top of mine and your previous post it says 'Network Browser/diskstation'?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom