Popcorn Hour A-410

DodgeTheViper

Just received my A-410 and starting to set it up with my Synology DS414, and then the problems start :(

I can't get the PCH to see the NAS over a wired Network. I've tried checking the settings on both, but it's still not happening.

Can anyone give me a pointer ?

Cheers

Rom

Does the PCH have an IP?
Do you have access to the Synology via NFS or SMB/CIFS enabled?

If trying SMB/Cifs (windows networking) you may need to enable the guest account on the synology before the PCH can use it.

To get to the Synology you should be able to (on the PCH) take 'Networked Media' then you should see entries for 'Network Browser'. In there you should see one or more entries. 'NMF_Servers' if you have NFS sharing anabled on your synology and 'WORKGROUP', may be other domains if you have anything sharing by windows networking.

If you take these you should then see your synology name or IP address. Depending on whether it is NFS or SMB you are using you may need to log in with a user name and password (you will for Windows/SMB networking).

DodgeTheViper

Excellent, got it ;)

Within Networked Media on the PCH, I can see Network Browser, which I can't access. I can see my Laptop, which I can't access. I can then see DiskStation, which I can access. I see 3 folders, Music, Photo, Video.

Using MKV, I'm ripping to the Video Folder.

Lots of trial and error.

Rom

Network browser is to access shared drives/folders (which is what you want). If you say that you can't access it means that you have nothing sharing out folders.

The Laptop & Diskstation you see will be UPnP media sharing which both your laptop and probably the synology will be doing anyway.

On the Synology (I'm assuming you have DSM 5.0 installed) go to Control Panel->File Services and make sure you have both Windows file service and NFS file service enabled. Try browsing the network share on the pch again.

DodgeTheViper

Yeah I have DSM 5.0 installed.

Windows File Service and NFS are enabled. In Network Browser on the PCH, I get, HOME, WORKGROUP, NFS_SERVERS.

Home shows my router.

Workgroup, I get an error.

NSF servers, shows the MAC address, I click that and get another error.

Thanks for your help so far :smashin:

DodgeTheViper

That looks like a very good guide. Think I'll go through that step by step.

Cheers

AidenL

What is the essential difference in the 400 and the 410?

I can't seem to see them, is it the DACs in the 410? Same chip?

DodgeTheViper

I've started saving my rips to the Video Folder on my Synology DS414. How do I create the video wall on the A-410 ?

I noticed something odd after ripping World War Z. After the titles finish at the start, the movie then automatically zooms in, filling the TV screen. I've put it down to my TV detecting something and forcing it to zoom in.

Last edited:

Rom

@ AidnL the 410 has higher quality DACs plus twice as much memory (1GB as opposed to 512MB in the 400).

@Dodge You browse to the folder where your media is, press left on the remote and a menu should appear down the lef of the scree. Select NMJ Manager and you can build the jukebox from there.

DodgeTheViper

Thanks Rom,

I'll give it a go later tonight.

DodgeTheViper

The Jukebox options down the side are all greyed out.

I'm on a huge learning curve here :D

Blummin enjoying it though :smashin:

Rom

If they are greyed out it means that the PCH does not have write permissions to your Synology and you don't have any local storage in the PCH - so it can't create a Database. You should check that you have allowed write permissions on your synology for the network protocol you are using (NFS or SMB/CIFS) and user (if used).

DodgeTheViper

I'll check the write permissions.

Is it going to be easier if I pop a drive into the PCH ?

AidenL

@ AidnL the 410 has higher quality DACs plus twice as much memory (1GB as opposed to 512MB in the 400).

@Dodge You browse to the folder where your media is, press left on the remote and a menu should appear down the lef of the scree. Select NMJ Manager and you can build the jukebox from there.
Do you guys reckon a 410 would produce a better picture than a HTPC running Xbmc, or much the same?

a5ian300zx

I
Do you guys reckon a 410 would produce a better picture than a HTPC running Xbmc, or much the same?

Hi,

i just posted my response, I have a A410 Popcorn and have own xmbc and many others and to me the popcorn A410 has the best picture.

HTML:
http://www.avforums.com/threads/popcornhour-a400.1675094/page-36

My network connection from My Qnap was straight ward, you have to make sure you have read/write permissions to the share for the video wall to work

I personally like the NMJ Toolbox for windows better control and management, you have to start the NMJ Jukebox app on the popcorn first and then just cancel it, this will create a database (d)b on the media device in your case Synology video folder or where you specified it, then run the NJM toolbox on windows and open the database (db) file that it has created and let it scrape your movie collection.

check the below for my movie library

YamJ

YAMJ Jukebox

YAMJ

NMJ Jukebox

Thanks

Last edited:

halfelite

You can get the same picture out of an HTPC but You cant run the stock xbmc player. You need to bump it up to mpc-hc and use MADVR and depending on your madvr settings it might be a full software decoding only htpc so might need a bit bigger cpu

AidenL

You can get the same picture out of an HTPC but You cant run the stock xbmc player. You need to bump it up to mpc-hc and use MADVR and depending on your madvr settings it might be a full software decoding only htpc so might need a bit bigger cpu
Must be time for me to sell on my HTPC then..... :eek:

DodgeTheViper

I

Hi,

i just posted my response, I have a A410 Popcorn and have own xmbc and many others and to me the popcorn A410 has the best picture.

HTML:
http://www.avforums.com/threads/popcornhour-a400.1675094/page-36

My network connection from My Qnap was straight ward, you have to make sure you have read/write permissions to the share for the video wall to work

I personally like the NMJ Toolbox for windows better control and management, you have to start the NMJ Jukebox app on the popcorn first and then just cancel it, this will create a database (d)b on the media device in your case Synology video folder or where you specified it, then run the NJM toolbox on windows and open the database (db) file that it has created and let it scrape your movie collection.

check the below for my movie library

Thanks

I think I'm a long way away from producing that, but I'll keep trying :)

a5ian300zx

The NMJ toolbox is easy the yamj bit more difficult, but I'll help where I can.

grimpy

I've had it with my 410 and the issue of constantly losing my shares every 2 or 3 days.

I lost my shares at 12:30pm and it's now 19:20 and they still haven't came back yet, every 2 or 3 days for the past 6 weeks it's been the same.

I've tried rebooting my equipment but it's never a quick and easy process of getting my "NETWORKED" media player back up and running.

Out of interest how often do you any lot lose your shares and when you lose them how easy and quick is it for you to get them back?

Rom

I used to lose them daily but that was fixed over 6 months ago. I never lose my connection now.

DodgeTheViper

Am I suffering from the loss of connectivity from the PCH to Synology ?

Last edited:

grimpy

Welcome to my world.

It only took 9 hours yesterday to regain my shares only to wake up this morning with them gone again.

Rom

Am I suffering from the loss of connectivity from the PCH to Synology ?

No, not necessarily. What you are seeing is a media server share from your synology. You would get that message if you have not allowed the PCH access in the media server in your synology.

Here is what I have on my A400:

In cap 1, lines 4,5 & 6 are media servers (indicated by the '3 line' icon next to it).

Lines 2,3 & 4 are Shares on my synology that I have mapped to on the PCH (indicated by the folder icon at the side)

Line 1 is the browser facility to browse machines on the network.

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 449
  • cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 443
  • cap3.jpg
    cap3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 443
  • cap4.jpg
    cap4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett