• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

popcorn hour A-110

KIRA

Established Member
Hello everyone.I have recently purchase a popcorn hour A-110 from ebay & fitted a new 2 tb sata 3.5" hard drive so i can store movies on it but does anyone know how to set this stupid thing up or better still anyone in the southampton area that could show me to get me going??

KIRA

Established Member
the popcorn hour isn't recognising that the hard drive is formatted to start with! so i cant install anything!!!-anybody had this to or know what to do|??

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
The drive needs to be formatted. It doesnt recognise NTFS disks from a windows machine, it only understands EXT3. I cant remember the layout of the menus (I'm an A100 guy) but there should be an option in the menu to format the disk. If you have current media on there you will lose it. If you want the media on there then it will need to be in an external caddy (where it can recognise NTFS)

Ian J

Banned
I struggled for quite a time but luckily with quite a lot of handholding from one particular forum member I managed to get it up and running.

My problem was a lack of understanding of networking in general including the terminology used.

If you require help it's much better if you ask specific questions rather than just for help in general as we need to know what in particular it is that you are having a problem with

KIRA

Established Member
To start with I've bought a sata 3.5 2 tv hardrive which just slots in but I can't seem to format it, then I have bought a Belkin wireless adapter & have no clue on how to sync this to my router- I managed to get the pch to kind if sync with my laptop but plays any material in really poor visual quality but on the laptop it's fine- all I want is to put movies on the pch hardrive & have them in a library with covers & movie info like I've seen on you tube but I'm a complete novice & now think I shouldn't gave bought this sodding thing- was hoping someone in my area could show me ?

KIRA

Established Member
Forgot yo mention that when I got it to share with my laptop I had it done through ethernnet cable but I need it to be wireless

Ian J

Banned
I'm no expert but I was under the impression that video streamed over a wireless network would always be poor quality which is why I have mine talking to my PC via Homeplugs

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
it doesnt downgrade the quality because its wireless, it will simply have more dropouts, stuttering etc as the network struggles to stream. It also depends on the contents of what you are streaming - a full blown ISO of a bluray may need up to 30MB/s and wifi will just hold up its hands and sulk :)

chris57

Prominent Member
Format the HDD to NTFS on your PC. If it is a 4k sector advanced format HDD then make sure you use Vista or W7.

Then insert in the A110. Download the NMT Apps and install them on the HDD. There are Guides in the supplied material and links to forums/wikis with this information.

As far as transferring content onto that HDD then there is your network or USB Slave, again on the NMT wiki.

If you use Windows you may want to keep your HDD formatted to NTFS. That way when using USB Slave you do not need Linux Ext divers running on your Windows PC. You can install the NMT Apps to a USB stick.

scumball

Distinguished Member
Format the HDD to NTFS on your PC. If it is a 4k sector advanced format HDD then make sure you use Vista or W7.

Then insert in the A110. Download the NMT Apps and install them on the HDD. There are Guides in the supplied material and links to forums/wikis with this information.

As far as transferring content onto that HDD then there is your network or USB Slave, again on the NMT wiki.

If you use Windows you may want to keep your HDD formatted to NTFS. That way when using USB Slave you do not need Linux Ext divers running on your Windows PC. You can install the NMT Apps to a USB stick.

I thought the HDD had to be formatted by the PCH (EXT3) to install the NMT Apps? The first comment sort of contradicts the last.

chris57

Prominent Member
It does.

What I ended with though was a suggestion to install the NMT Apps onto a USB stick rather than the HDD. Leave the HDD formatted at NTFS and you can use USB SLave to transfer content direct via USB lead or via the network.

scumball

Distinguished Member
OK it's just you said

Format the HDD to NTFS on your PC. Then insert in the A110. Download the NMT Apps and install them on the HDD.

Which may confuse the OP as you can't do this bit...

Download the NMT Apps and install them on the HDD.

Last edited:

chris57

Prominent Member
You can if he doesn't want to use a USB stick and just wants the NMT Apps on the HDD, just giving him all the options.

My personal preference is for a USB strick as if any CSI app or NMT Apps install corrupts you don't potentially risk anything other than the content of the USB stick. Your HDD would be unaffected and you wouldn't risk your files.

scumball

Distinguished Member
If you want NMT Apps on the HDD then you have to format the HDD in the PCH. Formatting to NTFS on a PC will not allow this...

chris57

Prominent Member
If you want NMT Apps on the HDD then you have to format the HDD in the PCH. Formatting to NTFS on a PC will not allow this...

Where's that shotgun:suicide:

The OP has said that he cannot get the HDD to install the NMT Apps by simply placing it in the A210.

This can be because some HDD's are OEM and come uninitialised. By formatting to NTFS on a PC then the HDD will be recognised when placed in the A110. Then he will be able to do the NMT Apps install and thereby partitioning the HDD into 3 and formatting each partition to Ext. The swop partition Ext2 the others Ext3.

If you so wish you can make the storage partition NTFS. To do this see the Guide on the NMT WIKI.
You can simply format the partition to NTFS however that may make some of the userapps via the Community Software Installer not work. That's why the Guide was written as it enables the CSI Apps.

In a nutshell the NMT and the NMT Apps installation is extremely flexible and can be setup to suit just about everyone's preferred method.

tanja07

Novice Member
Where's that shotgun:suicide:

The OP has said that he cannot get the HDD to install the NMT Apps by simply placing it in the A210.

This can be because some HDD's are OEM and come uninitialised. By formatting to NTFS on a PC then the HDD will be recognised when placed in the A110. Then he will be able to do the NMT Apps install and thereby partitioning the HDD into 3 and formatting each partition to Ext. The swop partition Ext2 the others Ext3.

If you so wish you can make the storage partition NTFS. To do this see the Guide on the NMT WIKI.
You can simply format the partition to NTFS however that may make some of the userapps via the Community Software Installer not work. That's why the Guide was written as it enables the CSI Apps.

In a nutshell the NMT and the NMT Apps installation is extremely flexible and can be setup to suit just about everyone's preferred method.

hi chriss i wanna ask something i can't install nmt apps my popcorn A110 when i want this error message gived
setup fail your source is not valid please reboot device ? please help me

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom