Samba
NFS
Media servers: myiHome, myiHomeLite, myiHomeMS (UPnP), MSP Portal
Third party media servers: WizD, SwissCenter, Llink, GB-PVR
BitTorrent P2P
Usenet downloader
NAS access: SMB, NFS, FTP​

Web services
Video: YouTube, Vuze, Revision 3, Videocast, CNET TV, Mediafly, Veoh, Mevio, Bliptv, Cranky Geeks, Break Podcast, DLTV, CBS Evening News, CNN Anderson Cooper 360 Daily, CNN The Larry King Podcast, NBC Today Show, The CNN Daily, CNN In Case You Missed It, NBC Nightly News, NBC Meet The Press, CBS Face the Nation, Podfinder UK
Audio: Jamendo, iPodcast, BBC Podcast, Indiefeed, CNN News, ABC News
Photo: Flickr Photo, Picasaweb Photo, Pikeo, 23
RSS feed: Yahoo! Weather, NMT Forum, Bloglines, Cinecast, MSNBC News, Traffice Condition, Yahoo! Traffic Alerts, Yahoo! News, Weather Bug
Peer-to-peer TV: SayaTV
Internet Radio: Radio box, Live365 Radio​

Media files supported
Video containers:
MPEG1/2/4 Elementary (M1V, M2V, M4V)
MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG, DAT, VOB)
MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS)
AVI, ASF, WMV
Matroska (MKV)
MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4

Video decoder:
XVID SD/HD
MPEG-1
MPEG-2 MP@HL
MPEG-4.2 ASP@L5, 720p, 1-point GMC
MPEG-4.10 (H.264)
BP@L3
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
WMV9
MP@HL
SMPTE 421M (VC-1)
MP@HL
AP@L3

Audio containers:
AAC, M4A
MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA)
WAV
WMA
FLAC
OGG

Audio decoder:
Dolby Digital
DTS
WMA, WMA Pro
MPEG-1 Layer 1, 2, 3
MPEG-4 AAC-LC
MPEG-4 HE-AAC
MPEG-4 BSAC
LPCM
FLAC
Vorbis

Audio pass-through:
DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD

Other formats:
ISO, IFO navigation
Adobe Flash Lite 3.1
AVCHD navigation
Blu-ray ready (requires addition of compatible BD-ROM and at least 1GB USB stick or internal HDD)

Photo formats:
JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Subtitle formats:
SRT, MicroDVD SUB, SSA, SUB/IDX​

DRM
Cardea DRM (WMDRM-ND)
Janus DRM (WMDRM-PD)

Chipset
Sigma Designs SMP8643, 667MHz CPU with floating point coprocessor.
Memory
512MB DDR2 DRAM, 256MB NAND Flash

Audio/Video outputs
HDMI v1.3a with CEC, 36bpp deep color, 12-bit xvYCC processing and HDCP 1.2 content protection
Component Video
S-Video
Composite Video
Stereo Analog Audio
S/PDIF Optical and Coaxial Digital Audio

Other Interface
192x64 dots white text on blue background LCD display, with software adjustable brightness and power off
Power button with standby, reset and full power down
2x USB 2.0 host at the front
2x USB 2.0 host at the back
1x USB 2.0 internal
2x SATA (one occupied by HDD tray)
3.5" HDD tray
Internal mounting for 2.5" HDD
2.4GHz RF Remote Control
Infra-Red Remote Control port (Infra-Red Remote Control optional)

Network
Ethernet 10/100/1000
miniPCI MII interface for 11n WiFi card (optional)

Power
100~240V AC, 50~60 Hz, max 2.5A
typical: 13 W (no additional device installed/attached)
maximum: 70 W

Dimension
Width x Depth x Height : 425mm x 290mm x 80mm (16.73" x 11.42" x 3.14")

Weight
3.7kg (8.3 lbs)

Package Content
Popcorn Hour C-200 (HDD not included)

IEC 60320 C13 power cord
1.5M length HDMI cable
RF Remote Control with 2 "AAA" batteries
Quick start guide​

Attachments

• C-200-rc-antenna.jpg
    C-200-rc-antenna.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 11,184
  • c-200-backpanel-antenna.jpg
    c-200-backpanel-antenna.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 10,290
Very interesting, lots of power, flash support, all the connectivity anyone would want, RF remote, lots of modular add ons, LCD etc.

Gonna be a great product, probably what the HDI should have been.

I heard a rumour on price, and if it's true it's very competitive for what it is, bring on the reviews.

Very impressed!! Like all i have been waiting on this to come and it looks amazing!! I cant see there being many bad reviews on this!!

Oooooh... looks very nice!

Flash support..? Does that mean it'll play youtube video without the mp4 streams..? And also video from all the other web sources which only offer flash streams..?

iplayer and skyplayer playback would be lovelly!

Oooooh... looks very nice!

Flash support..? Does that mean it'll play youtube video without the mp4 streams..? And also video from all the other web sources which only offer flash streams..?

iplayer and skyplayer playback would be lovelly!

That's the main reason for Flash in products these days.

Very interesting, lots of power, flash support, all the connectivity anyone would want, RF remote, lots of modular add ons, LCD etc.

Gonna be a great product, probably what the HDI should have been.

I heard a rumour on price, and if it's true it's very competitive for what it is, bring on the reviews.

But how extensive is Blu-Ray support?

$350 is about £225 + VAT in UK so not too bad given what it claims to do.

David

If this product is Blu-Ray ready and just requires a bd drive fitting, I wonder what would the possibilities of it being able to use a bd/hd combi drive like the LG I have in my current HTPC.

Truly awful.

One of the benefits of the original PCH's was the ability to tuck it out of sight and stream remotely.

This is just another black box to fit under the TV. That screen glowing at me would drive me mad - presumably it has a nice bright, scrolling display!

It looks like an old satellite box I had 15 years ago! Whatever happened to design!

I'll stick with the A110 (which I hope they'll continue to manufacture and support.

Truly awful.

One of the benefits of the original PCH's was the ability to tuck it out of sight and stream remotely.

This is just another black box to fit under the TV. That screen glowing at me would drive me mad - presumably it has a nice bright, scrolling display!

It looks like an old satellite box I had 15 years ago! Whatever happened to design!

I'll stick with the A110 (which I hope they'll continue to manufacture and support.

its an RF remote. you can hide it in another room if you wish

If this product is Blu-Ray ready and just requires a bd drive fitting, I wonder what would the possibilities of it being able to use a bd/hd combi drive like the LG I have in my current HTPC.

It doesnt support HD DVD at all.

Think it looks great i wonder how the usenet downloader will work.

Depending on price i will probably get one.

its an RF remote. you can hide it in another room if you wish

That's certainly an improvement (I hope with greater responsiveness).

But if I hide this in the coal shed, what about playing BDs?

Brilliant, I was hoping for the Bluray support, now i can finally get rid of the black dust box, formally known as the PS3 and stream with proper 24p!!!!

So for all the guys that know about these things. Does this look like the streamer to rule them all :)

So for all the guys that know about these things. Does this look like the streamer to rule them all :)

Id say the design of it could be improved.

Hardware side of things look ok but for me the real test will be the network adapter speed, you can do pretty much everything else it does with the older chipset. Saying that the network speeds off current gen players are fine for streaming 1080 content as well.

The UI probably uses the html again and that wasnt all that pretty or friendly.

Going from my support mailbox and phone calls I make to people interested in buying a media player the Blu-ray side of things dosnt interest people because more than likely they have downloaded a HD rip of a movie they just want to stream back this isnt going to make them go and buy a blu-ray drive and start paying for hard copies of content.

the front screen looks like a good idea especially handy if you are playing music (something all media players fail at)

Will it sell well? of course the popcorn hour name alone gets the sales.

Please don't assume that because I’m replying to you I'm one of the guys "that know about these things" but it certainly does look like a competition killer, doesn't it. I wonder what the guys over at NETGEAR HQ are thinking right now?! :D

Its only a competition killer if it goes on sale at the right price level. The spec's certainly look good but I think the enclosure design is once again a bit questionable IMO. I would love to see a performance comparison between the new PCH and the Xtreamer (assuming they both deliver on their promising spec's) and see it the PCH is worth more than twice the price of the Xtreamer.

David

I have done a quick paper comparison based on published spec's of the C200 and the Xtreamer. Click on the attachment.

The PCH is clearly more feature rich but the Xtreamer holds its own on video and audio capability (on paper anyway).

David

Attachments

• PCH C200 v Xtreamer.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,778
The case lets it down somewhat, fitting an aftermarket BD ROM with different finish ruins the appearence IMO. The review that has appeared shows photos with a Sony BD ROM and it ruins it.

I have done a quick paper comparison based on published spec's of the C200 and the Xtreamer. Click on the attachment.

The PCH is clearly more feature rich but the Xtreamer holds its own on video and audio capability (on paper anyway).

David

good comparison, but in my day to day chatter with people after media advice I havnt found anyone that uses the web portals - sure everyone would love to have the BBC Iplayer on it (this would make it a killer!)

As for photo's again not many people use this feature they are stored and viewed on a pc as its quick and you can do so much more with them (rotate / edit / soften / lighten / print / email / send to webstore for high quality hard copy / share with friends etc..)

Media servers are another thing that i dont see get a lot of use most people i talk to take home the media player and grab content from a shared folder on the pc upstairs or a NAS watch what they want to watch and then probably delete it, if they want it again they can always download it again. They dont need or want any extra software involved to share content.

i cant wait for some early reviews shouldnt be longer than 3-4 weeks.

The only thing i was missing with my current PCH was BD/AVCHD ISO and folder support. This has both, with a drive as an option. I will more than likely buy this as I was thinking of buying a Sammy 1600 plus the new pch or xtreamer. Now, I may only require the one device with a PC BD ROM to fit in. I am hoping they make a bezel matching the colour of the unit. And hopefully the screen on the front can be switched off....never been to fond of screens.:D

To be fair I just use llink for bd ISO, it will only play the M2TS but that's all I want it to do anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom