Question Popcorn A410 or Dune HD TV-303 or MED800X3D???

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by pietvlam, Sep 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pietvlam

pietvlam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popcorn A410 or Dune HD TV-303 or MED800X3D????
    HELP!!!

I have been filming my family for the last 15 years, and have over the last 6 month digitalized 70 Cassettes… half of them are in HD format….

I converted the raw data using Pinnacle Studio into .MP4 movies and now want to view them comfortable on my TV ( Panasonic Viera TX P42 VT 30 E ( plasma))

(Not sure if they are Mpeg 4 or Mpeg 2…L need to check… I am not so comfortable with all these possibilities)
    I know the output videofile is around 12 GB… which is hughe….

I stored the Video’s on my Nas, connected the Nas to the TV with the nowadays best cable connection, but the TV can not play “nicely” the video’s…. scattered, interupted, ect…

Some questions:

1)Which videoformat should I best use to encode my movies, to make videofiles?

2)Interlaced or Progressive?

3) I now decided to store all the video’s on a HD and then buy a Mediaplayer to play them on my TV

Which of the 3 is best fit for my purpose… to play in best quality all my Family video’s from my Hard disk:

MED800X3D
    Dune HD TV-303
    Popcorn hour a 410

Or another option?

I don’t mind to pay a bit more… to have a gooood solution J

All help and hints are extremely welcome…. J

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Welcome to the forum pietvlam :hiya:
    For the files you currently have on the computer I would suggest leaving them in the format they are now in as any conversion will cause some loss of quality.
    For future captures I would suggest trying a few to see what look best to you - a couple of short 1 minute clips should be quick & easy to create and compare.

Obviously if HDD space is an issue then higher compression may be required, so AVCHD is often well regarded as a good compromise between size & quality.
    If you have a modern flat screen TV then that only displays a progressive image. However converting interlaced to progressive is not really worth the time & effort and the TV or media player will do the conversion for you in real time. So another leave them as they are answer.
    All 3 of the listed players are now fairly old, so you might want to take a look at what some of the newer players offer and see if any of them suite.

The A-410 with the onboard video processing should get the best results from any SD footage, but this will offer little advantage for HD footage. It is also likely the most expensive player of the 3.
    I own an older Dune media player a do rate them highly. However Dune (and to a large extent also PCH) offer very little support for their players these days. So only go for one of these if it offers what you want now, don't expect new firmware to add new features. For home video footage this is not really too much of an issue but the Dune is the only player of the 3 not to offer a video jukebox built into the player, but it can be added with several PC (and even a Mac) programs.
    The Mede8er is about the best supported player of the 3 and is generally well regarded.

Mark.

3. pietvlam

pietvlam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Marc tha tis already a big step forward for me!

I agree these are all old players, I have the same feeling....
    but I do not find any newer mediaplayers by searching on the web that can also hold a Harddisk....
    these were the 3 most recent I found... :(
    Any suggestions?

4. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
  5. pietvlam

pietvlam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks Dazm, but this Himedia has very bad critics.... no Manual or chinese manual, starts up in chinese ect.... wrong powerconnectors....
    makes me shiver... :)

6. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
  7. pietvlam

pietvlam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok... you convinced me... i just ordered the Himedia Q10... :)

small question: i will use a 2 TB harddisk as i have now 8ooGB on homevideo's... i am a bit lost with red, green, hard disk,,,,ect.... no clue...
    which one should i take for fastest access, and longer reliability?
    I presume i Format the Harddisk in my PC.. Which Format should i use?

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Go for the HDD that offers the best price vs warranty - you choose which is most important to you.
    IMO all HDD's are reliable but different people will have lost data from one make or another and suggest you avoid that one, while others will have never had that make fail for them.
    Even the slowest Green HDD's are plenty fast enough for full HD video playback, so speed is not going to be an issue. However faster drives will generate more heat (and noise) that could therefore reduce their life, so most media player makers suggest using low power, slower 'Green' HDD's.

I've never used a Himedia player but on the Dune I use it is suggested to format the drive in the player for best compatibility. If you do this the player should use the best format, most likely EXT2/3 for a 2Tb or less drive - but a >2Tb drive would need to be formatted as GPT.

Mark.