Popcorn A300 and fire TV (original) upgrade

nicke20

Established Member
Reaction score
For many years I have had a popcorn a300 and the original flat square fire TV I'm on 1gb fttp, Netflix looks terrible on the firetv and the popcorn is just long in the tooth, no h265 support just for starters.
Would the new fire TV 4k cube improve things, is the decoding better than both my current devices. Can it read from a USB stick with large files on (say 6-10gb). Everything is on ethernet so no network issues. I was watching the crown last night and it was worse than bad VHS!!!

For many years I have had a popcorn a300 and the original flat square fire TV I'm on 1gb fttp, Netflix looks terrible on the firetv and the popcorn is just long in the tooth, no h265 support just for starters.
Would the new fire TV 4k cube improve things, is the decoding better than both my current devices. Can it read from a USB stick with large files on (say 6-10gb). Everything is on ethernet so no network issues. I was watching the crown last night and it was worse than bad VHS!!!

Yes newest FireTV would be better but...

Its limited to FAT32 USB only which means files over 4GB are a no go.

The Nvidia Shield Pro which has USB supports other file systems with large file sizes so that is the all in one solution to go for with its streaming apps and Kodi is available in app store for media playback.

The other options are get the OSMC Vero 4K+ (Kodi) to run along side the FireTV for USB playback.

If sticking only with FireTV then a simple NAS or use a PC as streaming media server.

I went from a Popcorn Hour A300 to a Vero4K as a media player and a 4k firestick for extra app support but my tv has most of the apps anyway but the 4k firestick is a great backup its on offer on amazon at the moment

Amazon product ASIN B08XVVPXX4

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom