Pop up's

B

baldbird

Now I've got broadband whenever I leave the system alone, I get loads of pop ups on my screen....

Some even saying how to get rid of popups !:mad:

Anyone got an idea of the best way to stop the pop??

Use Popup stopper & disable Messenger services in Computer Management/Services.

nathan. if he's getting the messenger service messages, than hes got bigger problems that a few popups - his pc is open to attack from hackers and crackers and that isnt good.

dont bother with just diabling the service, download zonealarm and protect the pc the right way.

as for stopping popus, i use the MyIe2 browser, which has a popup blocker built in. problem solved (and the brows is much better than ie)

I would agree...... zonealarm will stop the pop ups well enough (though i have found it to be a tad of a hassle). Should also consider getting ad-aware, free and quite useful!

Ad

I've also use XP Anti-spy, this totally removes Messenger (deletes the files)

Cheers for that guy's I'll let you know how I get on....

If u look at my posts in here today it look's like I've been taking the stupid pills... But one more coming up at the top of the group....

I have used cable broadband 24/7 for the last 3 years with no problems. First thing to get is a router, even if you do not run a network. The IP address of my computer is 192.168.0.16, which is of course one of a range of addresses reserved for internal networks, as the router uses NAT, (Network Address Translation), so reduces the chance of attack considerably.
Back this up with Norton Internet Security 2003 as well. The only pop-ups are from certain websites, which are easily removed with PopUp killers. I have a freeware one (now no longer supported) which is very good, stored on my website:
http://www.gab2001uk.com/utilities/popupkiller19.zip

I think I can safely say that popup killer's are quite possibly the best little programme's (providing you get one that works of course!!) that you could ever get :)

Pressing control (or similar) when you want to open a link takes a bit of getting used to, but other than that they're great little things... :) Well worth having IMO...

IIRC, I got mine from www.downloads.com :confused:

K.

It's used to send administrator messages to individual machines :)

I've tagged a response to the end of you're thread in General Chat which isn't quite so brief... :)

K.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom