1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop goes the woofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Omega Man17, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Omega Man17

Omega Man17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every time I turn my receiver off, (Denon 3803) my speakers
    ( Definative Tech BP2006tls with built in 8" subs) go POP!! It is really pretty loud. Any suggestions? BTW it did it with my old reciever too.

2. Omega Man17

Omega Man17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I turn the volume all the way down on the speakers:rolleyes:

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not a technician but that is something to do with earthing, sometimes cable sometimes internal?!?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a power surge induced by the receiver which is then amplified by the speakers own amplifiers (for the woofers).
    I am afraid the only way to prevent this is turning off / disconnecting the speaker's power supply first.

5. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    assuming that the internal subs pick up their signal from the main speaker leads (ie not a seperate low level feed from the amp) then you could try adding a 100 Ohm resistor across the amplifier speaker terninals.
    It's possible that when the denon switches off and the speaker relays open, that this sudden open circuit (as the speaker sees it) dumps some current from the speakers crossover capacitors into the active amp input.
    To try this theory leave the amp on and unplug the red lead (at the amp end) to one of the speakers.
    If this pops as well then try the resistor trick (100Ohm is low enough to quickly discharge any capacitors but adds very little extra load to the amp. If it doesn't pop then as suggested before it's probably a switching spike getting through via the mains etc.