Pop goes the AE100... for the second time

gingercat

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned on my AE100 the other night to watch The Insider and it made a nice loud popping noise as it turned on - still, it all came on properly and I enjoyed the film. It turned off normally too - wow, going well so far...

Came to watch something on it last night and noticed the red power LED isn't on, yay - my projector has gone pop FOR THE SECOND TIME :mad:

The lead seems fine, as is the socket, but switching it on/off on the back doesn't produce the red LED any more, any it won't turn on atall. Looks like more faffing around with Panasonic...

Anyone think I've got good cause for a free upgrade?? Probably not :rolleyes:

Oh, about 120 (low lamp) hours have passed since the last pop (which happend at about 4 hours)

Well, I've just booked it in with Panasonic again... Oh, you'll love this, the chap on the phone said "It's strange to get anything go wrong with these, let alone twice!" ROTFL

Originally posted by gingercat
Well, I've just booked it in with Panasonic again... Oh, you'll love this, the chap on the phone said "It's strange to get anything go wrong with these, let alone twice!" ROTFL

He's probably been told to say that as so many go wrong. I'm sure Panasonic are getting really worried about the failure rate on these and if anyone ever took them to court about the poor quality psu's in them they would surely lose and this would be a precedent for the rest of us. I'm a AE100 owner and love it but then I'm a fairly light user who probably only makes use of mine for about 5-10 hours a week. Especially at the moment as I'm doing 13 hour night shifts from 6pm to 7am. Aaaargh!!!

Originally posted by gingercat
I turned on my AE100 the other night to watch The Insider and it made a nice loud popping noise as it turned on - still, it all came on properly and I enjoyed the film. It turned off normally too - wow, going well so far...

Came to watch something on it last night and noticed the red power LED isn't on, yay - my projector has gone pop FOR THE SECOND TIME :mad:
hate to say it but I had the identical scenario a few weeks ago. It was my second time as well :confused:

Panasonic gave me the option of a doorstep swap out with a recon unit or to take back mine and repair and return. I opted for the latter.

Took them just over a week to turnaround and they delivered it back on a saturday. I'd noticed some colour issues before it went pop and I asked them to check it out.

Covering note said they'd replaced the powers supply (again) and install a new bulb together with some adjustments. It's been fine ever since.

Mind you, that was only a few weeks ago. Still think it was a bargain even at £1000, it's a steal at £600.

Just got my AE100 back today and it's working fine again...

BTW it pays to ask for things, I asked about getting a new lamp for mine 'cos I was a bit worried that with it having gone pop twice, and the subsequent white-van rides to get it fixed, that the lamp may have been considerably shortened in life - net result being they've put a new lamp in my fixed PJ :)

...oh, yes, the repair was the now infamous PSU replacement @ 1.5 hours labour

gingercat - where did u get your projector from pls?, did they tell u to go to Panasonic direct, or did u decide to go that route yourself?
Did u have to pay any delivery charges ??

Cheers
Delh68

I bought my PJ from Sound & Vision when they were doing it for £800.

If you want your PJ repairing, just deal with Panasonic directly on 08705 357357 - they'll arrange for it to be picked up from you and deliver it back free of charge - current turnaround appears to be about 1 week. I would recommend this approach.

If however you want your PJ replacing with a new one, you'll have to go back to your dealer - of course you may end up getting it replaced with one from the same batch though which wouldn't bode well for reliability...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom