1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor write quality of E50 dvd-rs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobones, Nov 25, 2003.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had my E50 for a couple of months and while I'm happy with its performance on RAM, dvd-rs made on it seem particularly badly written compared to those made on my Panasonic PC burner.

I have a Tosh 210 dvd-player, which seems pretty fussy about playing dvd-r from any source (though others seem to have no problems with dvd-r on this machine). However, I've noticed that even my Pioneer dvd-115 pc reader struggles to read dvd-r media written on the E50: either not recognising it at all, or having unreadable sectors near the end of the discs. Both my PC burner and E50 can read any of these dvd-rs fine, but the fact that the Pioneer can handle dvd-rs written on the PC (at any speed) with the same media, but not those written by the E50 indicates that there's an issue with the write quality from the E50.

I've tried Go-gos, Ritek G03s, G04s and Panasonic branded dvd-r media, but the results have been similar whatever I've used.

Could it be that my E50 has a weak laser assembly or is this a characteric of E50's in general? Even though I've tried Panasonic media, is there any other brand which guarantees a good burn on this machine?

2. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    {DV 390} Ritek Orange (Overprint) 4X 4.7GB DVD-R.
    I've recorded onto the above and they work fine in my Toshiba SD330.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a tosh 210 and it plays perfectly all the -r recorded on my hs2 which is basically the same in the dvd recorder section.

Sounds like you are using iffy media.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    £2.50 a throw Panasonic own brand "made in japan" media iffy? It's own of the few brands recommended for both the E50 and the burner in their manuals.

My tosh doesn't like any kind of dvd-r burnt anywhere so it's a problem on its own. But I'm more concerned that the E50 produces demonstrably worse burns than my PC burner on the same media, same speeds etc.

What media are you using in your HS2?

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ritek..Ugggghhhhh. give them a miss. Some pannies don't like them. Mine included. The E20 hates them and the E30 is somewhat hit and miss amongst other weird happenings.

I have only ever tried one Panasonic DVD-R and didn;t bother with any more as it would not play in my computer drive where as other much cheaper media would.

If you have not done so try some Memorex discs or JVC.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I've had the same problems as malcom with Ritek media and have been doing alot of experimenting to find any media (let alone cheap media) that works well in the Panny. It's cost me alot in coasters.

I tried all kinds of media from Bulkpaq, Datawrite, Memorex, Ritek, Datasafe etc and all different colours and speeds of these discs.
    The only one that has worked consistently has been the Datawrite Classic Grey x2 speed.

If Ritek work for you then use 'em, but it appears some Panny drives hate 'em. If that's the case for you then I'd recommend you try the Classic Grey's.
    They're cheap too, about £11 for 25 at the moment!

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Where? I could do with some more for the xmas film sessions on the tv.

I have used traxdata ok originally which I think are ritek dye?, but they seem expensive now.
    More recently I have used datawrite red 4x and datawrite yellows with no problem. I have read though that these have to be finalised inone session, if the machine is turned off or the media taken out and replaced to add more to them they often fail, although it hasn't happenned to me.
    Indeed apart from the odd coaster I have had no real problems with media, except 4 in a row of the yellows which failed to write.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I experienced the 'finalise in one session' thing with the reds.
    I lost about half a dozen of them by trying over and over.

Anyway, you can get the Grey tops here