Poor Video quality from PC??

bilko5

Novice Member
Hi guys, hopefully I have posted this in the right area if not I apologise 😊

Okay so I have noticed playing video files direct from my PC, through my AV receiver are not is good quality as if I was to put them on a USB stick and play them directly through my Samsung Smart TV??

I seem to be losing video quality from my pc somewhere. I have tried cutting out the AV receiver and plug in the HDMI lead straight into the back of my TV and the quality doesn't change, so it's definitely not my receiver which is causing the quality drop.

I have tried removing the video card and playing them from my motherboard HDMI this doesn't change either. I have double checked all my settings on Windows and tried different video players within my PC (VLC Media Player, power dvd player and Windows Media Player) but this hasn't helped either. Can anyone think of any suggestions where I am dropping the video quality?? Thanks in advance for any comments 👍😊

razy60

Depending on your video card, check in the cards settings to see what it is outputting, In Nvidia it should be set to something like 2.4.4.0 10bit.

razy60

Do you have Nvidia control panel installed if you do go to, Display-change resolution-check refresh rate should be 60Hz then go to use Nvidia colour settings, select highest bit rate, colour format should be something like YCBCr422, depth 10bit, dynamic range to full(if possible) it might only let you select limited, then apply.

bilko5

Novice Member
Do you have Nvidia control panel installed if you do go to, Display-change resolution-check refresh rate should be 60Hz then go to use Nvidia colour settings, select highest bit rate, colour format should be something like YCBCr422, depth 10bit, dynamic range to full(if possible) it might only let you select limited, then apply.
Okay so my colour settings were on default, I have changed them to NVIDIA colour settings... desktop colour depth was on highest 32-bit (which is the only one available) output colour format was set at RGB I also have ycbcr422 & ycbcr444??... output colour depth I have 8 BPC or 12 BPC output dynamic range full or Limited??

razy60

Try ycbcr422, 12bit,

bilko5

Novice Member
To be honest I don't see much of a difference.. do you think maybe be it could be a HDMI cable issue?

razy60

To be honest I don't see much of a difference.. do you think maybe be it could be a HDMI cable issue?
I doubt it's a cable issue. Player maybe. Cables generally work or not. You could try using kodi or plex. I've also found MPC is very configurable.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Is your tv over scanning? Check to see if you should be renaming the HDMI input pc. Or settings the aspect ratio.

otherwise you might be stretching the pixels and it might not look as sharp

bilko5

Novice Member
Is your tv over scanning? Check to see if you should be renaming the HDMI input pc. Or settings the aspect ratio.

otherwise you might be stretching the pixels and it might not look as sharp
Apologies can you explain how to do this it's a bit confusing, overscanning TV? Stretching pixels? lol

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yes it depends on the tv.

What are you noticing in the drop in quality, how would you describe it?

Over scanning is an old technique that was used by older TVs to zoom out the picture by approximately 5%. On analog signals this used to get rid of any issues at the edge of the picture. With a digital picture this isn’t normally an issue so ideally you should have a 1:1 pixel mapping where the video signal is mapped onto each pixel exactly.

However, if you imagine zooming out 5% your pixels are no longer mapped 1:1 and so you get a slight loss of definition. Hence asking what you notice about the quality drop.

Depending on the tv some require you to change the on screen label for whatever HDMI input the pc is plugged into to PC. It should state in the instructions. Others require you to just the aspect ratio to 1:1 which might also be called just. Check in your instructions as TVs often treat pc inputs as different to videos and might look/behave differently to built in apps

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Video playback - assuming you also have a regular PC Monitor how do the videos look on that display?

Settings - as ChuckMountain says you have two lots of settings to optimise, those being the PC Output settings then the TV settings.

TV - you may find one input on the TV is labelled for PC Input and may offer different setting options to the other Inputs, you are looking for a setting which has no scaling.

PC - once you know how to set the TV to ‘native’ no scaling mode you want to then set the PC to output the ‘native’ resolution of the Display.

You can then use test patterns to adjust contrast, brightness, colour etc

TV - which Samsung do you have?

Joe

bilko5

Novice Member
Video playback - assuming you also have a regular PC Monitor how do the videos look on that display?

Settings - as ChuckMountain says you have two lots of settings to optimise, those being the PC Output settings then the TV settings.

TV - you may find one input on the TV is labelled for PC Input and may offer different setting options to the other Inputs, you are looking for a setting which has no scaling.

PC - once you know how to set the TV to ‘native’ no scaling mode you want to then set the PC to output the ‘native’ resolution of the Display.

You can then use test patterns to adjust contrast, brightness, colour etc

TV - which Samsung do you

bilko5

Novice Member
Hi guys thanks for getting back to me I am extremely grateful for all your responses, my TV is a Samsung UE43KU6000K. If I take any video from the pc it on a USB stick and plug the USB stick directly into the back of my TV the picture quality seems a little more colourful and sharp.. However, if I play it directly from the computer however the picture seems softer and almost filtered. The picture isn't stretched so I'm pretty sure I have a 1 : 1 pixel mapping.

I use a HDMI lead straight into the back of the TV from the computer and as I've said above and I have taken my AV receiver out of the equation by plugging directly from the computer into the back of the television. Also I have tried using other HDMI port and played with various settings on the TV but with no joy.

It's not the worst picture in the world it's just not as Crisp clean and colourful, it bugs me a little when it's not perfect lol 😊

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Do you see all of the start menu in Windows and the lower bar\clock?

Also, you can have different colour depth settings for PC so it sends a limited colour range, this can either look too dark or too washed out depending on the settings.

Check the following settings from the user manual

Page 17 - " When you connect the PC, set the port to PC. For more information about the port settings, refer to "Editing external devices."

And the picture size on page 59.

bilko5

Novice Member
Do you see all of the start menu in Windows and the lower bar\clock?

Also, you can have different colour depth settings for PC so it sends a limited colour range, this can either look too dark or too washed out depending on the settings.

Check the following settings from the user manual

Page 17 - " When you connect the PC, set the port to PC. For more information about the port settings, refer to "Editing external devices."

And the picture size on page 59.
Yes I see the lower bar and the clock, I've adjusted some of the settings but this hasn't changed the quality of the picture.

I have played with the resolution quite a lot and this doesn't change anything either, I'm completely dumbfounded to what this issue might be. It's the same if I plug in my USB hard drive and play films through that the quality is noticeably better when I'm not coming from the computer.

bilko5

Novice Member
I mainly use VLC Media Player, I also have cyberlink PowerDVD 16 and the usual Windows Media Player that I never use.
To be honest with you it wouldn't surprise me if my media player is the problem. I have checked the settings and I can't see see see why I would lose any quality. So I'm not too sure what to try next 🙈

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco update improves N10, N100 and N1 EX digital libraries
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom