1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor TV picture quality

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by HiZ, Aug 9, 2005.

1. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think my TV picture quality is sub-standard, it appears as if the depth of colours is reduced somehow. Sometimes things with gradient colours look stepped, kind of like when you look at photo's in 256 colours.

Changing screen resolution has an affect, likewise swapping VGA for component connectivity @ 1080 looked better. Is it something to do with the scaler in XPMCE? What is the optimum resolution and refresh rate for PAL TV and DVD's? Using latest graphics drivers and NVidia decoder.

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    What graphics card? What are you displaying on?

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HiZ, first post eh? I remember my first post.... it was probably about the same thing. That or the on screen message that microsoft builds into the MCE discs telling you to insert disc SP2, the swines!

There must be rafts of stuff that answer your question already in the archives but in order for someone to reply to you, I'd suggest you state what equipment you are using. CRT or LCD TV? Make and type of graphics card and the connection plus any other software should do it.

For your encouragement, MCE rewards the patient. Those that are prepared to learn and experiment. It's taken me 6 - 7 months to get mine to the point were I'd say that's as far as my equipment will go until Hi Def broadcasts.

Talking of broadcasts, I was watching the BBC last night from Helsinki of the world athletics champs. Was it just me and my imagination or was the picture quality stunning? It almost leapt out of the screen at times. Something I was wishing the female Swedish Hi jumper would do ...... :)

Jon.

4. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Narr, not my first reply. Thought i'd change my name!

Interl 915GM graphics feeding a Samsung LE3241 LCD via VGA, component looks better but have just ordered DVI/HDMI cable to try that too.

Its got so much potential but i was expecting more. A £40 DTT box from currys looks better which is not good!

5. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to be perfectly honest, there have been times when a Sagem freeview box I bought cheap from Asda almost nudged the PC off it's TV shelf. I've often wondered why I hadn't just bought a current DVD player with DVI out and a hard disc recorder..... but glad I didn't in the end.

I'm not familiar with an intel 915gm graphics card, what drivers do you use, nvidia or ATI? VGA is OK but I found component to be better overall although it is merely the analogue equivalent to DVI/HDMI so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for improved pictures. I think the problem lies within that dark humming box....... :)

Jack.

6. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The graphics card is on-board the motherboard. Laptop spec i think from Intel. Drivers are the up to date Intel version.

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Burn a DVD of a recorded TV show & play it in a standalone player. If it is better picture quality than on your monitor (which I suspect) then the problem is with graphics out on your MCE machine. If the PQ is no better then it's the recorded TV portion that is the problem.