Poor TV picture at a friends house

Lee

Reaction score
Went to pick my lads up from their friends. We get on OK with their parents. Since I had last been there they had bought a Sony LCD. When I went into the room the first thing that hit me was how poor the picture was on the TV.

Don't know what possessed me but I couldn't help myself and said 'the picture's crap on your TV'. For what seemed like an age I thought **** what have I said.

Luckily he said he didn't like it either and asked if there was anything I could do. After a bit of tweaking, got it off vivid and changed the ratio to widescreen in the V+ box etc, the picture is much better.

Funny how I never say anything about their wallpaper.

Have you done similar, would you?

Yep often think that about other peoples TV's! It's mostly because they haven't changed settings from the default shop display settings.

Went to pick my lads up from their friends. We get on OK with their parents. Since I had last been there they had bought a Sony LCD. When I went into the room the first thing that hit me was how poor the picture was on the TV.

Don't know what possessed me but I couldn't help myself and said 'the picture's crap on your TV'. For what seemed like an age I thought **** what have I said.

Luckily he said he didn't like it either and asked if there was anything I could do. After a bit of tweaking, got it off vivid and changed the ratio to widescreen in the V+ box etc, the picture is much better.

Not in the same realm but I once said to my Scottish mother in law who suggested my husband could get married wearing a kilt "I don't want him to look like a clown" :rolleyes:

Before I offend Scottish people reading this, I didn't mean it in a bad way, I just had an idea in my head of what he should be wearing and when she said that, I just had a picture of lots of colours pop into my head and it came out before I could shut my mouth.

Have refrained from saying anything to my girlfriends parents about the quality of picture on their TV, she says her Dad is "big" into that kinda thing, has some Bose speakers and such set up.
Didn't seem like an enthuisiasts setup to me, either way I don't want to upset him, and they all seem happy with the picture, funny how she commented on how good my TV looked when she first watched a movie on it, I wasn't going to say anything about the comparison though.

I mostly don't say anything cause I don't want to be asked to sort it out and help people with these things in the future, I get that enough with computers as it is :p

Not in the same realm but I once said to my Scottish mother in law who suggested my husband could get married wearing a kilt "I don't want him to look like a clown" :rolleyes:
:D.....That's a hole in the ground moment. Did you get away with it?

Iccz said:
funny how she commented on how good my TV looked when she first watched a movie on it, I wasn't going to say anything about the comparison though
Make some excuse for taking your telly round and set it up by theirs :devil:

once greeted a female who I was meeting on business with a "when is the baby due?", to which she replied "I am not pregnant...." :suicide:

:D.....That's a hole in the ground moment. Did you get away with it?

She didn't look too pleased but I apologised profusely trying to explain my point (probably digging myself in deeper), but she has a good sense of humour and didn't hold it against me :)

As for setting the TV up, everytime we go to my parents we change the TV settings, but it's more the sound than the image. I think working with machinery all his life has badly affected my dad's hearing - even though he won't admit it - and the bass is unbearable. He changes it back as soon as we leave I'm sure.

I also often change the settings in other peoples car stereos....:rolleyes:
Amazing how many people simply don't know how to adjust the bass/treble, so they're just set at '0'.
Until I start 'fiddling'....

I also often change the settings in other peoples car stereos....:rolleyes:
Amazing how many people simply don't know how to adjust the bass/treble, so they're just set at '0'.
Until I start 'fiddling'....

Passengers that do that in my car never ride shotgun again :p

Fortunately passengers in my car wouldn't know what to do.

Fortunately passengers in my car wouldn't know what to do.

It's mostly down to the fact I hate having my volume etc being on odd numbers :thumbsdow

But I also have it how I most enjoy it!
In my old car people could fiddle all they wanted, it made no difference if they bass was on -5 or +5 :rotfl:

Oh god yeah. I've done it a few times, and only with close family. Of course, then I'm roped in to set it up properly. Since then I've learnt my lesson and kept my mouth shut, and endured the terrible PQ.

However, that doesn't stop family and friends calling me out to fix their computers.

And yeah I've changed a few settings on the fly. Sometimes, I completely re-tuned the car stero and re-do all the favourites to my liking. Honestly, you'd think some people have never heard of 'bass'.

Honestly, you'd think some people have never heard of 'bass'.

It's a kind of fish, right?

;)

Practically every single time I am over at my in-laws, I have to fix something "technical" for them - usually the tv. My wife's dad is disabled and has trouble feeling the remote controls, so he just keeps pressing buttons til he gets a result. Every few weeks I need to go over and readjust all the display settings, turn Mandarin Chinese back to English, etc. :laugh:

Last edited:
It's mostly down to the fact I hate having my volume etc being on odd numbers :thumbsdow
My car hasn't got any numbers or any way of knowing what the volume is which I thought was odd but then again it hasn't got a temperature gauge either which is even odder.

My car hasn't got any numbers or any way of knowing what the volume is which I thought was odd but then again it hasn't got a temperature gauge either which is even odder.

Hang on...is this your car?

204635-albums374-picture1968.png

;)

haha, when ever I go to a friends house, I look at their tv pic quality and bite my lip, I don't know why but I always look at peoples TVs when I go to their house, it's strange. :devil:

bite my lip,
It's easy to bite my lip when the wife asks if this top looks nice or does this skirt look OK. Of course they do dear. Saves the hassle if I'd replied no, don't suit you, makes you look fat.

But a dodgy looking TV pic....

It's easy to bite my lip when the wife asks if this top looks nice or does this skirt look OK. Of course they do dear. Saves the hassle if I'd replied no, don't suit you, makes you look fat.

You don't let her go out looking bad ??!! :eek:

Next time just say "I prefer that other one", if she asks why just say "I don't know, you just look sexy/beautiful/nice in it".

But you're a confessed fiddler.
Chances are it sounds quite good already.
It will sound different from someone who has everything set to '0'.
You can tell that within seconds.

I visit a lot of clients at their homes as it is definitely the FIRST thing I look for when I walk in .... the TV!!

I have tweaked a fair few of my family's set ups too - usually changing the scart into the RGB socket and changing the output on the Sky box to RGB instead of PAL - that makes a difference.

The TV in my front room is a Tosh 32" LCD with a normal Sky+ box and I've had a few people say ... oooohhh that looks good that HD .... :eek:

a quick demo of the real SkyHD in the other room then I think .... :smashin:

It does worry me though. My mother-in-law is about to buy a new TV and said she has seen some she likes in the local Currys/Comet type place. I am going with her on Sunday to pick one out (then buy it online ;)) but I am really intrigued as to what the sales people will say to her and me whilst we are browsing. Should be interesting to hear what they come out with ..... I remember one of them selling my Dad some "gold plated" monster SCART leads as that's the "only way you'll get an HD picture" ..... :mad:

I've fixed aspect ratios on DVD/digital TV boxes for a couple of friends.

Amazing the amount of people who run their source at 4:3 'fullscreen' and then stretch it to 16:9.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom